Chapter 5: Understanding

Blessed your day with Tony Stark.

------------------------------------------------

"I-I . . ." Ruby started as tears built up in her eyes. She held her hands on her mouth when she heard her voice. A laugh escaped her mouth as she looked at Tony. "Dad? I-I can hear! Ha-ha-ha! Dad!!! I can hear again!"

"You're welcome-" Tony said, but Ruby squeezed him into a hug before he could continue.

"Oh my God!! Dad, I can't believe it." Ruby yelled as tears fell from her eyes. "Oh God!! Thank you so much! Oh my god-d..."

"Great it works!" Tony said with a smile that showed his wrinkles.

"I'm still kinda pissed you but now your amazing!" Ruby said as Tony chuckled. "My voice! I can hear my voice!!!"

"Hey, kid?" Tony asked.

"Yes" Ruby replied happily.

"I need to explain to you something important" Tony said and walked to the lights. He turned the lights off and continued to walk to the door. "Come on. Let's go talk in your room."

"Ok" Ruby said and got off of the chair.

She walked out the door of the labs then Tony locked it. Together they both walked in the direction of Ruby's room. But as she walked there was a little skip in the way she walked. It's like all of the problems in her world had just disappeared. But as any other story, her problems had just begun.

Tony and Ruby finally arrived at her room and got in. They both sat on the bed with smiles on their faces.

"So what is it?" Ruby asked.

"Look, I'm sorry for bringing Eva her without telling you anything." Tony apologized

"Well it was a dick move, but I accept your apology" Ruby said brightly then her face slowly went dark. "But why did you bring her? Now of all times?"

"I was being myself, and trying to get out of a situation the easy way" Tony said. "Because of everything that happened this past week, I thought I would leave you with Eva for a while as I try to clear your name."

"I would never go anywhere with that woman" Ruby said darkly

"Yeah. The idea would never work anyways." Tony said. "But I have a court meeting in about 3 weeks. So I'll eventually clear your name off the chopping board and you'll be free to do whatever you want. "

"What's gonna happen to me if they catch me?" Ruby asked as she looked at her father with worried eyes. "I mean while I am on the chopping board . . . Will they lock me up?"

"I'll make sure that never happens." Tony said and kissed the top of her head.

She rested her head on his shoulder and they stayed like that for a while. As they watched the wall Tony thought about something. Now that they were bonding, he wanted to know what happened to her when she was with HYDRA. He always had questions about her past on his mind, but he never got the chances to ask her any of them. Of course this might not have been the best time, but it might be the last time he would get a chance to ask her. So like the man he is; he went for it.

"Ruby?" He asked

"Hmm" She replied

"Can I ask you a question?" Tony asked

"Yeah, of course. What's up?" Ruby said she looked at him.

"What was it like to wake up one day and not being able to hear anything?" Tony asked the question that had been burning at the back of his mind for a while.

Ruby looked away then back at Tony then away again. That question was really hard to answer and it was just as surprising to get asked about it. She would have told him the answer if she knew it herself but unfortunately she didn't. It was hard waking up and not knowing what happened to her, but it was harder to learn lip reading with HYDRA. For the first few hours after losing her ability to hear she just spent it locked in her room with tears flowing from her eyes. When HYDRA found out they became furious. They blamed her body for being too weak to hold all the chemicals. They used to take her to a room and spent hours teaching her lip reading and if she got it wrong they would make her regret the day she was born. After a while, Ruby became skilled in lip reading that she didn't need to use sign language anymore. But after that what scared her the most wasn't that she couldn't hear, no what scared her was what would happen to her if she said the wrong things in front of them.

Tony realized that she had zoned out so he wrapped a hand around her shoulder and said.

"If you don't want to answer then that's ok" He said. "It's a really personal question. I get it."

"No it's not that." Ruby said softly and looked up at him. "It's just hard to explain. But I can tell you this. When I lived with HYDRA, sometimes I used to tell myself I'm ok. I repeated it like a mantra....I'm ok...I'm ok...I'm ok. Because I was afraid if I stop . . . . Even for a moment. I'll drown in all the reasons that I'm not."

Tony looked at her for a while then said. "Sounds like something I would tell myself too..."

Tony thought about what Ruby said and he realized that they both have the same problems. Maybe she had more than him but it was still the same. But now it didn't matter. Now he had to keep her hidden from the people who want to take her away from him. He had to hide her in a place where they would never think of looking. A peacefully environment. Maybe he could even put her in a school so she could have a normal life like any other kid her age. Then it came to him. The perfect plan. He looked over at Ruby then got up.

"Well I'll need to get going, Rubes." He said and ruffled her hair.

"Where to?" She asked as he walked to the door.

"I have a court meeting in 3 weeks. I'll have to talk to lawyers and stuff" Tony said and opened the door.

Just when he was about to close the door Ruby spoke.

"Hey, Dad?"

"Yeah?" He said

"Thanks for these again." She said and pointed at the hearing aids. "And. . . I lo- . . . Good luck on your case."

Tony smiled softly and said. "You're welcome . . . . And by the way they're called hearing aids."

Ruby smiled back at him and Tony left the room. 

-------------------------------------------------------

Ok so yeah i know, this chapter wasn't that important but you know . . . just go with it. 

Anyways thank you guys for whoever vote on this story and the last. 

Love Ya.

Word Count: 1189

Vote 

Share

Comment 

Or whatever...