3

That night, James led me back to my tent.

I don't really remember much of what happened. I remember I tripped over every possible thing you could trip on, including him. He was good natured about it though; he just scooped me up and plopped me on my bed.

"Good night, Scarlet Rhodes," He said. His eyes shined in the dark. I could barely see him it was so dark. He turned to go and was almost out of the tent before I remembered.

"Wait!" I struggled to sit up in my drunken state. His figure paused and looked back, almost dramatically. "I need to take my makeup off." Alice had told me not to forget to otherwise I might wake up with spots.

James chuckled, running his hand through his hair. "I'll be right back." He left the tent, leaving me alone in the dark.

I collapsed back on the bed and fumbled around my nightstand for the lamp switch.

It flicked on and illuminated the tent. It was a soft warm glow that made everything look calm and innocent. I liked it.

James then appeared again, this time holding what I think was a washcloth.

"Here," he said, sitting on the bed next to me. He began to wipe off my makeup. I smiled.

Surprisingly, he got it all off when I went to check in the mirror. I did some touch ups, then turned to him.

"Thank you very much, James."

"You're very welcome, Scarlet. Have a good night," James said.

"You as well," I said as he left, buttoning up the flaps of the tent.

I located my nightgown in a dresser and slipped it on. Then I pulled the pins out of my hair, shrugged on a silk robe, made sure the mosquito netting was set, and fell asleep to the sound of crickets buzzing.

It was still dark and cool in my tent when Alice bustled in. "Up, up, Miss Scarlet! Time to get up!"

I groaned, flicking off the eye mask I always wore when I slept. My head was pounding and I felt awful. Light was creeping under the edges of the tent.
Alice had turned on all the lights, and apparently had brought a big fan in there to keep it cool. It gusted wind in my face, making me tear up.

"Oh, God," I muttered. "I feel like shit,"

Alice gasped. "Don't say that! You're a lady."

"Who is to say a lady can't say that? Not me," I snorted,

Alice pressed her lips together in dismay. "Well, I'll get you some medicine. You get dressed. I hung your clothes up for shooting today on the armoire. Brush your hair. I'll be back to fix you up," Alice scuttled out.

I sighed loudly.

James then poked his head into my tent, grinning. "Long day?"

I gasped in fake horror, throwing a pillow at his face. He laughed and disappeared again.

I closed the flaps of the tent for privacy, then got dressed in the clothing Alice brought.

It was brown trousers with boots and a white top. Nothing too special. I guessed this was what you wore in a movie taking place in Africa.

I went to the showers to brush my teeth and wash my face and such.

When I got back to the tent, Alice was back with some medicine. I took some with a gulp of water.

"You'll feel better in no time," she said cheerily.

"God, I hope so," I sighed. "I drank way too much,"

"We know," Alice said.

"What? What did I do? Did I do something embarrassing last night?" I sat up straighter, concerned about my reputation.

"No, no. Not at all," Alice smirked.

"You better not be lyin' to me, Alice."

"All you did was dance and dance and trip over things and dance some more. Mind you, it was pretty decent dancing too for a drunk woman."
She laughed loudly.

I groaned. I hope I hadn't made a fool out of myself completely last night. I'll have to make sure I don't drink as much again.

"Follow me. We have to do your hair on set." Alice grabbed her boxes of things and hurried out the door. I had to actually hurry to keep up with her.

It was already sunny and hot as a skillet out there. I guess there was no rest for the sun.

When we got there, there were dozens of people scattered around doing things; setting up lights, carrying equipment, pushing carts, rummaging through boxes.

Alice ushered me towards a vanity with light bulbs around the mirror. I sat in the chair and immediately three different women started attacking my head with combs and makeup and hairspray. Alice took my hands in hers and began painting them a bright red to match my lipstick I would be wearing.

All the while I could not help but look around for James. I didn't see him at all until I spotted him just across from me, leaning casually against a Jeep.

It almost took my breath away. He was studying a pack of papers, his lines presumably. He a burnt red and black patterned silk robe over brown trousers and a t-shirt.

I couldn't stop staring. I think my mouth must've dropped or something, because one of the women fixing me up, Marjorie, told me to close my mouth.

I noticed the water on my vanity, labeled with my name, so I downed that fairly quickly.

It didn't help my dry throat though. I kept glancing at James all the while.

He was so tall. So incredibly tall. I wondered his height. At least six feet. Or just about. He was very handsome too. Any woman would be lucky to have him. I imagined running my fingers through his hair, touching his face—

No. Stop. I pinched myself. I focused on myself in the vanity mirror, then glanced at him once more.

He looked up at me at that moment and I nearly shrieked. I looked away quickly, hoping he hadn't noticed.

"Alright, Miss Scarlet. You're all set to go." Marjorie said.

"Thank you very much." I said, my heart fluttering.

I heard Oliver's shouts about "his two favorite movie stars reporting to set."

There wasn't really a set for this particular film as it was in the middle of Africa. The backdrop was the safari, which I thought was nice.

James appeared, shrugging off his robe.

"And, action!" Someone held up a production slate, and then we were rolling.

James took my face in his hands and kissed me. I wrapped my arms around him. We seemed to completely melt into each other. It was wonderful. I couldn't stop feeling the butterflies in my stomach.

It was in that moment that I remembered Noah.