4

Noah! I hadn't thought of him till now. Good God. I'm a horrible person. 

I'd thought of my mother, father, my brother, my aunts and uncles and cousins. I'd remembered my best friends Amelia and Leila. I'd even thought about my pet horses and cats.

But I'd forgotten the person who was supposed to be the most important in my life. 

Noah.

My boyfriend.

Well....

While that last day with him had been wonderful, I told him since I'd be gone for so long, and would be so far away there was no telling what could happen. I said it be better if we broke up now, than to try and make it work and see our relationship suffer and die.

That might have been a bit extreme. But I loved Noah with all my heart and it wasn't fair to do this to him. Even though we were broken up....

I was confused. Terribly confused. I knew I felt something for James, something strong and heartfelt. But I'd also felt that for Noah. I'd been with Noah for a year; those kinds of feelings were hard to shake.

But I couldn't help what I felt for James. In the little time I'd known him, I thought I was utterly, infatuatedly taken with James. 

Perhaps it was just that; an infatuation. I would ride it out and see what became of my infatuation. If it persisted, maybe I could upgrade to calling it a crush. 

But for now, I'd shove the butterflies in my stomach down and ignore them. I would write to Noah and be faithful.

I leaned into the kiss. I was probably smearing red lipstick all over his face. I pulled away, him lingering slightly. I was breathing a little harder than usual. If I could tell right, he seemed to be, too. 

"Say you'll see me again," He said as his character.

"Even if it's just in your wildest dreams?" I responded as my character. 

"And, cut!" Oliver shouted, clapping once. 

After that, every time I looked at him, or made eye contact, or anything, I was slightly terrified. My heart would speed up and my hands would shake ever so slightly. Definitely a crush.

But the rest of the scenes we shot there was no kissing. That was the only one, at least for today.

The week passed by quickly with little to no event. I continued stomping my feelings for James. At the end of the week, towards sunset, I was sitting in my chair at the vanity writing a letter to Noah.

This was what I had so far:

Dearest Noah,

How I miss you. I know we have technically broken up but we are still friends and I will write to you as often as I can. I miss my family and friends very much, but it is also fun to be in Africa. Can you believe it? We are shooting a movie in Africa! I have never been here and so I plan to go exploring when I can.

It is very beautiful here. One the way to the camp I saw a lion and some elephants. It was very dusty as there are no paved roads. And it is extremely hot. The sun blazes all day long with hardly any shade.

It is only my first week here. A full week. We filmed the whole time, and now I am writing as the sun begins to set. The sunset is gorgeous here. I wish you could see it.

I hope you are well. 

Love, Scarlet

"Scarlet," a deep voice said behind me. I jumped a little in my chair, quickly folding the letter up and putting it in an envelope. I turned to see James standing behind me.

"James," I breathed. "Hello,"

He smiled. "Care to go for a drive with me? Away from the crowds?" He rattled the car keys in his hand.

My heart thudded. "I would love that," I addressed my letter and gave it to Melody who was passing by. She promised to bring it to the post. "I just need to change quickly," I was still in my clothes from filming. While they were nice, they were getting to be uncomfortable after sitting in them in the heat all day.

"Of course," James nodded. "I'll get the car,"

We went our separate ways, him to the car and I to my tent. Once he was out of site I started running to my tent. I had no idea what to wear. I stumbled into my tent and threw open my armoire frantically. I sifted through all the dresses and jumpsuits and blouses I had.

I slapped myself in the face because I was being ridiculous. This wasn't a date. It wasn't anything like a date. James wouldn't care what I wore. Not one bit.

I finally chose a blue and white patterned dress. One of my favorites I owned. I slipped it on, found my cat eye sunglasses, and stepped outside.

I searched around for James but couldn't find him. Just as I was about to head back to my tent, defeated, he roared up in Oliver's Jeep. He smiled at me broadly.

"Hop in,"

James was a terrible driver. If there was one thing I learned about him our whole time together in Africa, it was that. He seemed to purposely hit every hole and bump on the road. It made me shriek with laughter.

The ride seemed to be long. "Where are we going?" I asked.

"You'll see," James said. We began to drive up an incline. I almost feared the car would roll backwards it was so steep. I gripped on like I was about to die; maybe I was with his driving and all.

He laughed at my scared-shitless expression. "Almost there, Scar,"

I smiled at the nickname. My family called me that sometimes. Noah did, too.

Finally the ground leveled out and he made a right turn along a road. He stopped abruptly, almost giving me a concussion, and shut the engine off.

He hopped out and helped me down even though I was very capable. "Thank you," I said, brushing off the dust that had acquired on me.

"Anything for you," He took my hand and led me ahead of the car.

What could possibly be up here? I had no idea but I was excited.

As we walked, I began to see. We were on a cliff edge overlooking the entire horizon. You could see the camp belong, tiny and small as ants. Farther ahead, you just just make out the village we drove through to get here. 

And just beyond that was the most beautiful sunset I had ever seen. It almost brought me to tears. I wish I had brought a camera to take a picture and remember it forever.

"Isn't it beautiful?" He asked, slinging his arm around me. I nodded, speechless.

"How'd you know this was up here?" I asked.

"We had to shoot something up here a couple days ago while you were shooting something else," James said. "I thought it would be a nice thing to see together,"

"Together," I breathed.

He loosened his grip around me for a moment. "Listen, I know you had a guy back home, and I don't know what you're feeling towards him anymore. But Scarlet, I think I like you," James rushed his words out, as if he was nervous.

I raised my eyebrows. My heart suddenly seemed to beat normally again. "James! You're a straightforward man," I giggled. "I think I like you, too." I turned in his arms and kissed him before I could stop myself.

He kissed me back, and it was the best feeling in the world.