Prologue -- Mary

"Clear the way, clear the way for the His Majesty," the guards ordered.

I, Mary, daughter of Heli, scurried out of the path of a magnificent chariot. The jewel studded escort was golden, with two noble steeds in front. Bronze decorations and silver inscriptions lined the rounded frame. On both sides of the chariot there was a bronze eagle with the words Senatus Populusque Romanus inscribed around it in royal purple. Three imperturbable guards marched in front of the chariot and four behind it. Seated atop the chariot was Herod, ruler of the Galilean partition subject only to Caesar, ruler of the Roman Empire. Everywhere, people fled to clear a path. I was almost trampled in the frenzy. One woman, however, however, did not move. She stood directly in the path of the oncoming chariot.

"Halt!" the guards shouted, "Who are you woman, and why do you stand in the way of Herod, who comes in the name of Caesar?"

"I am Tegratia and I believe that I represent all the Jews when I stand here." Cheers of approval went up from some people in the crowd. "I refuse to move for this so called "ruler" because of his wickedness. God will punish him, I tell you, God will punish him; he will send himself to the grave."

Herod stood and boldly addressed her, "You complain about my rule and threaten me with a God who has not been heard from in over 400 years. Guards, take her away." Then he turned to the people, "This is how it will be for anyone who resists or even questions the rule of Caesar."

The guards reformed, put their hands at their sides, and shouted "Hail Caesar." Then they seized Tegratia and the royal chariot rode away to the palace.

After purchasing groceries at the marketplace, I returned home and briefed my parents on the events of the afternoon.

"More and more Jews are rebelling against Herod," my father noticed after I had given my briefing.

"They keep looking for a Savior from a God who hasn't been heard from in hundreds of years," my mother complained.

"I wish they could give us some peace," my father sighed.

I crept away to my room silently. Whenever my parents began talking about the Jews the conversation droned on for hours. It wasn't all about the Jews, but it was still bland, bromidic, and boring. It was Friday, so I was planning to visit my cousin Elizabeth after I completed my chores. I had just begun them, however, when I heard a voice call, "Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you."

I whirled around and beheld an angel, radiating with glory, standing in front of me. I was troubled at his words and asked, "Why do you greet me in this manner?"

"Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. You will be with child and give birth to a son; and you are to give him the name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end."

I was stunned and wasn't sure how to respond "Wow! This is great, but how will it be since I am a virgin?"

"The Holy Spirit will come upon you and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the child to be born will be called holy, the Son of God. Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child, she who was said to be barren. For nothing is impossible with God."

After pondering his words I replied, "If you say it's true I'll believe it because I am the Lord's servant. May it be as you have said."

After the angel left, I finished my chores, put on my green and white tunic, and hurriedly left to visit my older cousin Elizabeth. She lived with her husband, Zechariah, in Collis, a small town in the hill country of Judea.

Their house was small but functional. Because Zechariah was a priest, they lived near the temple. A road branched off the main street leading up the hill to their house.

As the house came in sight, I was so excited that I waved and shouted, "Elizabeth, Elizabeth!"

"Good evening, Mary," Elizabeth greeted me with a smile, "What brings you to our humble home today?"

I had run so fast that I was out of breath. "An angel...of the Lord...came to me... and told me...that I am to give birth to...the Son of God!"

"That is exactly what the Holy Spirit revealed to me when I arrived." Then her voice changed and it was obvious that the Lord was speaking through her. "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!" Suddenly she looked sad.

"What is wrong?"

In her normal voice she replied, "My husband doubted the angel when he said that I would have a child. He will be unable to speak until the baby is born."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that."

"But rejoice," Elizabeth exulted, "and glorify the Lord for he is working through us."

Then I was filled with the Holy Spirit and sang, "My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me- holy is his name. His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation. He has performed mighty deeds with his arm; he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts. He has brought down rulers from their thrones but has lifted up the humble. He has filled the hungry with good things but has sent the rich away empty. He has helped his servant Israel, remembering to be merciful to Abraham and his descendants forever, even as he said to our fathers."

"You are truly blessed my young cousin," Elizabeth complimented me with a smile. "Well, it is getting late and I should probably start with dinner before Zecharaih returns from the temple."

"Ok then, May the Lord be with you!"