Chapter 6

Slamming my fist onto the small wooden table I shouted, "What do you mean 'there is no room'," I was infuriated. We had been to four inns and none of them had any room. Although this innkeeper was the nicest yet, my temper had reached its breaking point.

"Do you offer anything special? Can't you see that she - that my wife is pregnant?"

"Joseph, let's try another inn," Mary suggested, "Maybe there is room for us somewhere else."

"Where else do you want to go? Everywhere else is probably full."

"I'm sorry to say that your husband is probably right," the innkeeper spoke up, "I've lived in this area all my life, and every time there is a census inns fill up faster than Caesar's palace on the Day of Eqqus. I do, however, have a stable in the back that I could let you use for the night."

"Why do you have...? What do you need a stable for?" I asked, more calmly this time."

"It's where we keep the animals that travelers bring in," the innkeeper replied, "It's not much, but -"

"We'll take it," Mary decided before I could object staying at a place for animals."

"Ok then," the innkeeper was relieved, "it's around back a little ways from the inn.

When we arrived at the stable, I was not impressed. "This is it?" I distastefully spat.

It wasn't much, just a small dilapidated shack with a manger inside that was used to feed the animals. Aside from the feeding trough, there was nothing else but the straw on the ground and the pens for the animals.

The innkeeper hadn't mentioned it, but I assumed that some of the animals they kept were used to feed the innkeeper and his family because in addition to donkeys and camels there were chickens, cows and goats.

"So," Mary asked trying to lighten the mood, "nice place, isn't it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"...97, Jack, 98, Jill, 99 Joshua, 100, Kelly, all sheep present and accounted for with nametags," I shouted to Yensid

"Ok, let's call it a night."

"That sounds good to me."

The day had gone well for Yensid and me. It had been a usual day in the life of a common shepherd. We tended the sheep. We fed the sheep. We protected the sheep. We counted the sheep. We did everything the sheep could not do themselves. Which is a lot. Like I said, it was a pretty routine day. Then suddenly a brilliant light shone around me and I was terrified.

As if reading my thoughts, something in the light reassured, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger."

After that, the light momentarily left; returned with more lights, I think they were angels; and began singing, "Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests."

Once the angels had left Yensid spoke up "Walt, we're going to Bethlehem. Pack the camels.