Chapter 2

-Tom-

Grumbling to himself, Tom walked through the forest, now completely human. Yesterday was... eventful. Humans didn't often come through this part of the forest. Especially humans wearing Red Army uniforms.

Tom was only going to have a little fun, he would play around with them until he got bored and walk away (after killing them, of course). Who could blame him? All he got around here were deer and bobcats and other stupid animals, and sure, they were fun sometimes, but not all the time. He only hunted them. But humans were of better use than just eating.

And when he decided to scare the life out of that one soldier, Tom wanted to make the most of it. So he may have gone overboard. A bit. But what's a few broken tents going to mean when he'll kill all the humans anyway? But while Tom was distracted, he didn't notice the one human with a stupid laser gun.

That human shot him in the face, right in the eye. And since he only had one then, when Tom transformed and had two black eyes again, both of them stung. He couldn't even see out of them for the rest of the day.

So Tom had formed a grudge. He was going to kill those stupid humans (even if he was technically part human). They would probably send reinforcements if Tom didn't kill them anyway. For some reason, humans wanted all monsters gone and created an army just to get rid of them. That's why Tom hid himself from the world. He didn't want to die.

So they would have to die first.

...

After hours of following them, Tom realized they were going to one of the towns. Maybe to regroup? But if they got there... Tom's death would be certain. He knew some of the soldiers had noticed someone following them on the trip, so what would happen if they were actually looking for Tom?

When the group, plus Tom, arrived at the town, the monster-human stayed in the background. Any plan would be great right now. Tom desperately needed a way out of this.

Maybe he could just distract them and get the group away from the town (since the locals here didn't need to get involved) and kill them back out in the forest. Yeah, that would work. Just briefly turn 'monster' and then kill them once they got far enough away. Not the best plan, but the best one he had. Tom just had to be careful.

The soldiers were mostly grouped near a house, though some were spread across the settlement. Tom mostly kept his eyes (it was great now that he had two again, and could see out of them) on the soldier he had carried across their campsite when it was still standing. The one with strange honey-brown hair that stood up like Tom's horns. The soldier was a he and wore a parka that could not keep his hair down with goggles covering his eyes. That was a must out here, though Tom could go hours in his monster form without anything because of his fur. Right now, Tom had to wear a parka just to stay even remotely warm.

Suddenly, Tom and the soldier made eye contact. Tom silently prayed to whatever gods that would listen that the soldier wouldn't make the connection of the black eyes that Tom had were eerily like the monster's one eye he had seen earlier.

The soldier's eyes widened, proving Tom's hopes to be false. The soldier had noticed. Tom did the first thing that came to mind.

"Sup," he said, then bolted for the nearest exit. Oh god, he was dead. The horn-haired stranger yelled for his friends and chased after Tom with a newfound confidence. So why didn't Tom, a half-monster who could transform at will, do just that? Wait- that's actually a good idea.

Tom let out a blood-curdling roar and transformed into the large purple beast, now standing on all-fours. The downside of being a huge monster then came to mind. He was bigger, now an easy target to hit.

Many soldiers went to shoot at him all at once, firing anything they could. Bullets, nets, tranquilizers, somehow a few chairs, name it and they shot it. Tom received quite a few bullet wounds and many tranquilizers stuck out of his purple fur. The world became dizzy and blurry, leading to the large thud of a giant monster crashing to the ground. A few of the locals screamed in horror.

...

Tom awoke several hours (at least he hoped hours) later, now completely human once more. It took a few seconds for Tom to realize he was propped up in a sitting position and not laying down. Peeking an eye open, he was able to make out trees in the distance, meaning he was somewhere near a forest of some kind and hopefully not at some weird army base camp where they killed monsters. Specific, but totally real.

Wanting to get away from any and all humans, Tom attempted to stand up. Yeah, that didn't work. Tom was tied down to something, ropes around his hands and feet. He attempted to turn monster then sprint to anywhere except there (and monster-killing army base), but found he was in no condition to do anything but sit there and wait. Tom really didn't want to do that.

A human figure made its way into Tom's view. Now grumbling again, Tom fidgeted in his bindings. There was no way he'd be kept around these sort of people. The human was clearly wearing on of those matching parkas the stupid humans wore. So he weren't friendly.

The one who was in front of Tom was talking to a two-way radio, otherwise known as a walkie-talkie, in a hushed voice. He also had strange eyebrows. Maybe they didn't want Tom to know how he was going to die? That was Tom's first guess. Well, he had a decent enough life. He hunted enough deer, watched enough sunsets for a monster to last a lifetime.

Just as Tom was going to dive into more depressing 'I've lived a good enough life but now I'm done' thoughts, a hand from behind Tom hauled him over to a small plane. There were new soldiers on the plane, most whispering secretively and casting skeptical glances at Tom when they thought he wouldn't see. Tom all of a sudden felt extremely lonely and out of place. He wasn't like these people. Not at all.

And now, he was stuck with them, probably until his inevitable death.

Word Count: 1114

So... I wasn't feeling up to it, but then someone voted for the first chapter. So I wanted to write some more. Thanks to that person for giving me confidence :).

By the way, school starts for me soon, so I'll be even less frequent. Bye guys!

-Rando