Chapter 3

-Tord-

The majority of the plane ride was kept in silence. It was nerve-racking to have a ferocious monster on board. Even if it was unconscious and looked completely human. But that might've been that scariest part; at least for Tord. He could kill regular monsters for sure, they sucked. But to see the very things that he killed looking like humans, acting like humans, having feelings like humans was destroying his mind. There was a mental debate going on in his head whether or not monsters had feelings. Most of him said 'No, no way. No creature alive that had a real train of thought and could feel guilt would act as these monsters do.' And Tord agreed with it.

The the other part, the tiniest little bit there could ever be inside of him felt bad for the beasts and said 'Maybe'. And that was it. Sure, it was just a word. An almost meaningless English word, but it meant more. It meant a whole different world existed where monsters did what they did for a reason, and not out of blind rage.

Of course, Tord would never see it. Not now, when he was blinded by blood and gore from monster claws. That thing had almost killed him. Forgiveness didn't just happen overnight.

And so the battle would continue, and the Norwegian army base would get closer. Why they were going there was not knowledge that Tord possessed, so he too was clueless. Only Pau, who sat quietly in the corner mumbling or talking in whispers over the radio, seemed to know what was happening. Everyone else was either filled with brimming rage over the fact they hadn't killed this monster yet or was curious for the same reason. They were only united by the fear that the loudly snoring monster-human would wake up.

Tord spent his time observing the monster, thinking, planning. There were parachutes in the corner. If the monster got out and all else fails, the parachute was an option. A nice option too. Tord could pull out a gun if needed (there was always one in his pocket) and in its state as a puny human male, hand-to-hand combat didn't sound impossible. But Tord's thoughts would always wander back to how. How did the army base manage to not know about these things sooner? How had destiny decided that Tord's first missions would fail so miserably thanks to that monster? How did that monster even exist? Tord had brushed over the subject of the last question quickly, not wanting to get into specifics on it.

Three hours of flying and the crew became anxious. A few soldiers pulled out guns, though they weren't supposed to. Most kept a close eye on the monster-human, everyone dead silent. Except for Pau, of course. He still whispered on the radio, talking to some person, anxiously darting his eyes across the interior of the plane. An hour or two to go. Not much, by army standards. But enough for Tord to wish he were in the Bahamas or something, chillin' around until doomsday. Yeah, the Bahamas sound nice. Why couldn't they ever go there?

When the plane landed, everyone exited in an expected silence. Pau ran right into the building and was greeted by his friend Pat, who looked worried. Tord was lost in his thoughts, as he usually was, and stared at the ground. What had just happened? All of it when down so quickly. They weren't supposed to come back to the base so early and here they were, the monster in tow. Speaking of which, the monster was awake and snarling at the people around him. Fortunately, the bindings held him tight as the monster thrashed, though this did not cease Tord's worries. The Norwegian soldier desperately pleaded to the communist gods that the monster was killed soon. But then again, why would his fate be death if the Red Army brought him here?

...

Walking into the Red Army Base in Norway was one of the closest things to being home. Sure, he had lived in England for a bit, got to know people, but Norway was his birth home. Being in the base felt right. And the fact that they were fighting monsters was awesome. The kids of the future would not have to face these beasts if Tord helped wipe them all out, even if they were vigilantes and weren't going by the law. There wasn't a real government that sponsored them, so the Red Army went solo.