21- Favourites

"One or two garlic breads?" Neil said as he looked over his shoulder. "Don't know why I'm asking. Two it is." Without looking he knew she was smiling. 

"Hey, I love garlic bread." JJ watched as he put the plate in the microwave and the garlic bread into the toaster. 

"I know." He turned around to look at her. Her hair was open now, her curls tangled and her baby hair frizzy. "How is it possible for you to have bed hair without even sleeping?"

"You know, Lara can be many things but I don't think she can be a hairdresser."

"Noted," he said with a laugh. He leaned down, kissing the top of her head. "I'm sorry it took so long to get you food. You must be hungry."

"Oh I'm starving. But you don't have to apologise." She pulled his head down for a kiss. "Are you sure your family won't mind me sitting out to eat?" He raised his eyebrows at her, still leaning down so he was eye level. 

"Cara, they're were pushing you out so you can sit down and eat. My mum practically yelled at me to give you something to eat." The microwave beeped and he straightened up. "Salad?"

"Please." Neil carefully placed the plate down. He then walked to the cupboard to pull out a wine glass. "Oh red please." He chuckled, already pouring her choice of wine into the glass. "Thank you so much."

She watched from the corner of her eye as he pulled out the chair beside her. She licked her lips, putting the glass of wine down. Neil's knee touched hers. Extending an arm, she placed a hand on his thigh.

"You don't have to sit with me, it's okay."

"True. But I want to sit with you. There's the difference." She rolled her eyes, picking up her wine glass again. Neil leaned back on his chair, resting his head on his arm. "Have I told you how beautiful you look today? The hair included."

"Fuck off," she said with a laugh. "But thank you. And you look presentable too."

"Wow so you get a beautiful like ten times today and I just get presentable?"

"You are what you are." Neil gently kicked her under the table. She snorted as she picked up her fork. "That super duper hurt. Fantastic kick."

"We are not turning this into the slap thing again. I refuse to hurt you."

"I know you hate to admit it but you're so fucking adorable." Neil rolled his eyes but he felt his ears start to burn knowing that in a few seconds his cheeks would brighten. "But can we just admit that you only stopped because you knew that when I slapped you next you would have cried like a baby."

"Excuse me," Neil said. He stood up and walked over to the fridge. "I bet you, that I will win the slap game and therefore winning my mum's absolutely amazing tiramisu.".

She watched as he took out a large tray. With a bored look on her face, she put a potato in her mouth, watching as he brought it over to the table. "So...you think I'm gonna fold over for some food? Who do you think I am?"

"I know..." Neil said with a smile. He kissed the top of her head. "That you are the most beautiful woman in the world. That you have ambition and you're smart and you think you're funny. Think is the key word here. And what I absolutely know for sure is that you would do pretty much anything for food."

"Sit your ass down," she said with a laugh. "I would play the game but I don't want to hurt you."

"You just shut up and eat."

* * *

"You okay cara?" Neil mumbled with a frown when he walked into the sitting room. She turned to him and smiled. The lower end of his shirt was damp from when he did the dishes. "Why don't you sit down?"

"The heater is here." He pecked her lips before standing beside her.

"Shall I turn the heating up?"

"No then it gets too hot." With a smile, he threw an arm over her shoulder, slowly pulling her in front of him. When she was standing in front of him, he wrapped his arms around her waist. "Let me guess, you're gonna keep me warm?"

"Of course."

Kevin looked up at them and sighed. "Your sister doesn't know my favourite colour."

"Okay..." Andre said with a laugh. "How is the fact that my daughter not knowing your favourite colour come up in a conversation about how stupid Boris Johnson is?"

"I bet JJ and Neil know that kind of stuff. They seem like that kind of couple that knows everything about each other even though they've only known each other for a month."

Lauran groaned as she smacked his shoulder. "I do know. It's green."

"No! It's orange. I told you this yesterday."

"Same thing so shut up."

Stephanie shook her head with a laugh. "Totally not."

"Oh yeah dumbass, what's Tyrell's favourite colour?"

"It's red. His favourite meal is jerk chicken and rice and his favourite number is eight because it looks like infinity."

Kevin looked back at his wife. "I bet you don't know any of that." He turned to glance at JJ who had a hand held up reaching back to touch Neil's cheek as he slowly swayed them side to side. "Go on then, Jay. Let's see what you know about Neil."

"Well...his favourite meal would be either mac and cheese or lasagne. I am yet to know his favourite meal Mrs Zampa makes for him. I know his favourite desert is actually anything with coffee in it. Favourite number is eleven because Lara was born on the eleventh of May. As for favourite colour...he says it's red."

"What do you mean I say?" She dropped her hand with a laugh. Everyone looked over at them. Lauran was surprised. It had taken her family years to realise that although Neil repeatedly assured them that his favourite colour was red, they knew it wasn't. 

"I mean I know it isn't red. It's actually blue but you say otherwise because you don't want to seem like a typical guy."

"That is not true!"

"It is and you know it is. On our first week I got you a red cupcake because I thought it was your favourite colour and you seemed so upset but whenever you came in you would request the blue one. And please tell me where the red things are in your house."

"At least I have a favourite colour."

"I do!"

"Black doesn't count." She gently slapped his arm. "But I think I know you better than you know me."

"Oh yeah? Go for it."

Neil sighed, pulling her in closer. "Favourite colour as she says is black, favourite meal would be lasagne with some roast potatoes and feta cheese salad and mainly because of the cheese and her favourite desert depends on her mood. Favourite number is 97. Don't ask me why it's so high." Kevin clapped for him before Lauran smacked his chest. "Hey cara?" he whispered in her ear so only she could hear.

"Yeah?" She tilt her head to the side and was met with his lips.

"Thank you. For coming today. I wouldn't blame you if you didn't want to."

She kissed him again. "I'm only in this relationship for the food."

"Well I don't care. I have you now and I'm gonna treasure this moment."

"You know what you should treasure?" He hummed. She gently pulled his face closer. "Tonight. I'm gonna show you how much I missed you."

Neil laughed loudly into her ear. JJ cringed back taking a step forward but still having his arms on her waist. "I'm so sorry," he said with a grin. He pulled her back into his chest. "I can't wait."