Chapter 10

No matter how much I want to go for coffee with cute Cal Price, I know I can't skip Bram's soccer practice a second day in a row and especially not to get to know another boy. Even if Abby is with us. Even if we are all 'just friends.'

Anyway, you have a boyfriend, so what good would it even do? I remind myself. Not like you can really be friends with Cal... can you? And I began to wonder, Could we be 'just friends?' Cal and I had theater in common, so it kinda made sense that we would be friends. Plus, I have a pretty good suspicion he is into boys. So we have that in common too.

Since I'm quite tongue-tied, Abby thankfully helps me turn down Cal's invitation for coffee, using the excuse that we already agreed to be Nick and Bram's soccer practice cheerleaders. Oddly enough, she ends up accidentally inviting him to join us. And the crazy thing is, he accepts and follows us out to the field.

Leah had finished practicing with her band and is already there. She waves when she sees us coming.

As we approach, I realize I have no idea how I'm going to explain Cal's presence if Bram asks. And even though I think he should not care, I am afraid my boyfriend might just freak out if he sees Cal standing next to me. So, I be a good boyfriend and protect Bram from feeling jealous or insecure, and I squeeze between Abby and Leah, throwing an arm around each girl, sandwiching myself between them.

Not seeming to care or notice, Cal shoves his hands into his jeans pockets and stands on the outside next to Leah, "Hey."

"Hey," she says back. "I remember you from drama club. Last year, you played the piano. Cal, right?"

"Yeah," he says, grinding the toe of his sneaker in the dirt a bit awkwardly. "Uhhh... I saw you're on our cast list for this year."

She laughs, "Oh, that. Yeah, I'm not really acting. My band is auditioning for the band role."

"I didn't know you were in a band," he says.

"Yeah, nobody really knows yet. We've been kinda keeping it quiet," she explains. "We've been practicing really hard, but we want to have it really together before we go public. But.... the play was just too big an opportunity to pass up."

Just then, Nick and Bram spot us all and wave from the field.

We all wave back and Abby and I start a 'who can cheer loudest and embarrass our boyfriends the most' competition.

The two quiet ones, Leah and Cal, try to make small talk over our yelling. I see him whisper something to her and then she turns to me, "Si, we're gonna go sit down over there," she says, pointing to the built in brick bleachers behind us. And off they go, together.

Now I'm the one feeling a tad jealous.

I try to focus on Bram but the couple of times I glance back over my shoulder, Leah and Cal are talking and laughing. They don't look like they just met. And they certainly don't look awkward with each other anymore.

After soccer practice, Bram, Nick, and Garrett make their way over to us. They are sweaty from the long workout and all the burpees they had to do, but still full of youthful energy.

As Leah and Cal start to wander over to us from their spot on the bench, Abby and I greet our boyfriends with kisses. I'm glad to see Bram is all smiles.

Garrett mutters, "Yeah, yeah, all this love going around but none for the G-man."

I turn to fake a move to lean up to kiss him, but as I lean toward him, he throws up his arm to block me and steps back. "Woah! Spier! Sorry, I don't..." he catches himself. "You're not my type! Besides, Bram will beat my ass!"

"You know it!" Bram says, punching his buddy hard in the arm. Then he throws an arm around me, pulling me close, just like a possessive boyfriend should.

I notice Cal's gorgeous blue eyes on us, observing. Was that a look of jealousy? I really don't think I'm misreading him.

As Garrett rubs his bruise, people are laughing and it feels good. The soccer team are excited for their senior year and already wanting to make a lasting impression and go out on a high by breaking some records. It's all soccer talk and over my head. Somehow, Abby is able to follow along.

I find myself focusing in on Abby and Cal whispering together, sharing secret smiles. I try to listen in but their voices are too low. It bothers me and I feel the heat of annoyance burning hot inside. Leah encroaching on my friends again. First Abby. Now Cal. Can't she back the hell off?

===========

Simon has Bram. Nick has Abby. So why can't Leah have Cal? What do you think of Leah and Cal? A good pair? I don't think I've seen anyone else pair them in a story yet. I always see Leah paired with Garrett. So what do you think?