Chapter 10

---Thorn's POV---

It was extremely hard to stop myself from grabbing Blake and run, especially with the band of vampires guiding us to Bidziil's brother. My instincts were screaming to keep an eye on them and stay cautious, so I did.

Bidziil glanced back at me as I stayed one step behind, my eyes flitting from one vampire to the other, knowing what these creatures were capable off. I jumped when a hand landed on my shoulder, stunning me out of my daze as a pair of simmering gold eyes dropped to my level.

"Are you okay?" Bidziil asked, observing me closely as I nodded and looked back at the vampires. Several of them were staring straight back at me, some even had the guts to smirk slyly before covering their expressions to a mildly interested one when Bidziil turned on them.

Soft fur brushed under my palm as Blake pressed himself closer against me, growling under his breath. When one of the vampires scoffed under his breath, Blake bared his canines in warning, only gaining an eye-roll from the vampire in question.

"Dumb mutt." The insult was whispered and shouldn't be audible, but I caught on to it nonetheless. Without even thinking about it, I twisted my wrist behind my back and smiled in satisfaction when a small rock shivered on the forest floor before striking the insolent vamp against the back of his head.

"OW! What the-" He snarled, turning around with his fangs bared as I walked beside Blake, ignoring the bloodsucker as he fumed and grinded his teeth. One of his companions came a bit closer to me, stopping at a respectable distance.

"Sorry for him, he normally isn't this stupid." The blond male jested as he motioned towards his companion, who flipped him off and dashed away from us. I simply rolled my eyes, fixing them to a point in the distance.

"Not much of a talker, are you?" He stated after an uncomfortable silence. I glanced at him, nostrils flaring slightly as his eyes flicked to my own. I could sense his unease, a lot of people felt the same when they stared straight in the black depths of my eye with a hell blue iris floating in the center.

Looking away from him, I brushed my hand over a mangled tree, sighing when the wood simply turned to ash in my hands. "Being hunted and running for your life changes people, I guess." I stated, a hint of sarcasm oozing from my words.

He rubbed over his neck, seemingly flustered as Bidziil stared back and forth between us before coming beside me, nearly brushing against me with each step. What the hell is his problem?

When I eyed him questioningly, he just looked over my head and narrowed his eyes a bit. The vampire had fallen back in line when I spun around though, so I couldn't see what exactly happened between the two of them but when Bidziil glared at another vamp looking our way, I couldn't help but roll my own eyes.

If I didn't know any better, I'd start to think he's defending his territory.

Shaking my head at my absurd thoughts, I walked ahead and smiled as Blake rushed ahead, zipping in and out of the trees and snapping at low-hanging branches.  When he flipped head over heels again, I snorted out loud and ignored the curious glances my way.

When Blake trotted my way, I chuckled and brushed the ashes of his fur before yanking my hands back when he playfully snapped at my fingers. I raised an eyebrow at him but he just answered with a loud "Woof!" and darted away from us, spinning around and nudging me excitedly.

"He must have caught the scent of the Lycans. He knows his 'kin' is close." Bidziil murmured curiously as I glanced up to his face. He was staring in the distance before glancing back at the vampires, where his eyes darkened, embers of gold sparkling in the middle.