Happy Ending

Robin allowed Regina to spend a few more moments alone with their newborn, as he knew how important it was for her to finally meet one of her babies. Throughout her pregnancy with Roland, Regina frequently mentioned the baby she lost when she first met Robin. As hard as it was for her to move on, she managed to put her worries aside and have a healthy pregnancy with her little knight, the one whom she dreamed about for so long.
Robin leaned against the door, crossing his arms in front of his chest and smiling with love in his eyes as he watched his wife bond with their little bundle of joy.

Regina leaned Roland on her right arm, securing his small head with her other hand. During the first minutes, she could not bring herself to say anything, so she lovingly caressed his hair, his chubby cheeks and his small hands. She carefully counted his fingers and toes, making sure they were all there, sighing in relief when she finally realised her son was perfect.
Regina watched Roland drag his tiny hands to his mouth, probably signaling he was hungry. "Oh, you will have to be patient with me, I've never done this alone before," she said, removing the strap from her shoulder.
A few moments passed and Regina could not get the baby to latch onto her, making her groan in frustration.

Robin saw her struggling, so he decided her alone time with Roland had come to an end. Stepping towards her, he noticed the fear and disappointment in her eyes.
"I cannot do this," she said with shame in her voice.
Robin knew from all of the new mothers who gave birth with him as their doctor that the beginning of the nursing journey might not be as easy as expected, so he was prepared for this to happen to them. He sat next to her, cupped Roland's head with his hand and snuggled his other arm under his body, lifting him from Regina.
"If you are going to stress yourself over it, your body will not produce enough milk for him. Try to calm down and I will help him get a proper latch, alright? It might be uncomfortable at the beginning, but you need to tell me if it hurts, so we can try again."

The baby was starting to get a little fussy, so Robin placed him back on Regina's chest, guiding him towards her breast. Only a few seconds later, the infant found its way and began sucking, letting out the most adorable noises both of them have ever heard. Regina leaned her head on Robin's shoulder, melting into the arm he draped over her back. He placed his other hand under hers, helping her support the weight of their baby while she fed him. Robin watched them for a while, before taking out his phone and snapping a few photos of his newborn and his wife. Just as he was getting ready to peel himself from Regina and get their bags ready for a quick hospital visit, Robin noticed she was still leaning on his shoulder, her lips were slightly parted and her ravished hair covered most of her face. He let out a silent chuckle at the sight of his gorgeous lover who had fallen asleep in what had to be the most uncomfortable position, but still looked like she could sleep like that for a week.

Half an hour later, Regina woke up and noticed Robin was still next to her, snoozing away with the baby on his chest and a burping cloth tossed over his legs.
Even though she was still sore, Regina removed herself from the bed and gathered the things she would need for the short hospital stay Robin was bound to request. As much as she wanted to spend the first days with her son at home, she understood it was more important to allow Robin to bring him in for a check up, given that the pregnancy followed a miscarriage and experienced the fire episode. After she finished her and Roland's luggage, Regina called their neighbors and asked them to bring Ava over to the hospital in a few hours, so she could finally meet her baby brother. Regina was ready to start her new life alongside her wonderful husband and charming children. Even though she did not come to meet Robin in the most pleasant circumstances, she was grateful for every moment she could share with him.

One hour later, Regina has Roland attached to her chest again, while trying to help Robin figure out how that doomed car seat worked. After multiple attempts at strapping the baby in the seat, the adults high fived and burst into laughter, relieved to finally having understood how to fasten the baby in the seat, and the seat in the car.
"I would say we had a pretty good start at this parenting thing." Regina said with a grin.
"You became Ava's mother months ago, love. You are a natural." He said.
After a while, Regina was nervously turning around in the front seat of the car to see her son, yelling at Robin to slow down every 5 seconds.
"Robin, so help me God, if the baby dies, you die," She barked, earning herself a worried chuckle from Robin.
"Darling, that policeman is going to stop me if I go any slower than this. He can literally walk next to our car, maybe even pass us."

A few hours later

Robin entered Regina's room with their baby snuggled up against his chest, giving her a warm smile and informing her that everything is perfect with Roland. Ava was curled into Regina's side, patiently waiting to meet her baby brother. She even made him a little drawing, of what she claimed to be their family. As Robin placed the baby into Regina's arms, Ava shifted herself to get a better look at him.
"Small" she laughed.
"Yes, baby, he is small. You will be his big sister and protect him, right?" Robin asked.
The couple spent some more time with their children, trying to adjust to their newest addition and filling Regina up with painkillers to last for months. Even though she would not admit it, she accepted the pills faster than she ever did with anything else before.

"We trade for a girl?" Ava said after a few moments of thinking.
Regina and Robin look at each other, trying to decide whether it was appropriate to laugh or not.
"We will not trade him for a girl, baby. You get to be my only princess for now, while he is my little knight," Regina told the toddler.
"And what do I get to be?" Robin chuckled.
"The silver lining in my story." Regina said with a smile, reaching up to place a gentle kiss on Robin's lips.

The End