Sorcerers, Smashed Apples, And A Really Annoying Face

After all the trouble with Lucas and the apple tree earlier on, I had decided that I would go to the market to buy apples.

  If there's anyone there, that is.

  It's been awfully quiet around here.

  The problem with buying apples from the market is that they're not as fresh as apples picked from home. There's a chance that a nasty worm has eaten its way in, or the apple has decayed on one side.

  Or the Joker might've taken a bite and placed it back.

  I grab my basket and walk out the door again, this time I'm going to the market and not my apple tree.

  That's weird.

  People are starting to come out of their houses.

  Activity is happening as usual.

  Perhaps Lucas is some sorcerer who placed a spell that caused them to stay in their houses (while dancing in underwear) while he carried out his prank.

  That's very possible.

  As I walk down the path to the market, I bump into someone familiar.

  Remember how I said that there was a kind old man who raised me and Stella when we were orphans?

  Well, here he is.

  This is Mr. Phil. But that's what the villagers call him. Stella and I, we call him Pop. He's been like a dad to us our whole lives, though he pretty much played the role of both a mother and father. He sent us to school, taught us how to read and write, played lots of games with us, and even got into a little mischief himself.

  There was one time an older village boy picked on us. When we came home and told Pop about it, he snuck out in the middle of the night with a wheelbarrow full of dog poop, then he dumped it into his shoes, at his door, on the windowsill, basically everywhere.

  Anyways.

  "Hey Pop!" I greet him.

  "Mornin' to you, Jeanette," he says with a cheery voice, "Where are you off to?"

  "The market," I say, pointing to my basket.

  "Ah, I see," he says, "Buying what?"

  "Apples," I reply.

  At this, his smile drops to a rather concerned look. "But I thought you have apples," he says.

  "Well, I was picking some just now until some idiot came along and ruined them for me," I responded through gritted teeth.

  "Who's the hooligan?" Pop asks, his concerned look becoming furious.

  "You know that new guy Lucas?" I tell him.

  He's gonna grab some cacti...

  And shove them up Lucas' butt...

  And then Lucas will stop bothering me.

  But to my surprise, Pop's face melts with laughter. Laughter, I tell you! He's now laughing at me!

  I'm pretty darn sure that Lucas guy is a sorcerer.

  'Cause he's probably hypnotising Pop right about now...

  When Pop recovers from his hysterical laughing, he looks at me with a huge grin on his face and says, "You- you're definitely joking, Jeanette."

  "No I'm not! I swear!" I protest.

  "Lucas? The new boy? As in the one who came over to my house and offered to help with farm work for free? And who makes delicious breakfasts for me every morning? And who even found my treasured pair of underpants when I lost it?"