Chapter Nine

Disclaimer: This is a work of fan fiction. The story I tell about Daryl and Beth is my own invention, and it is not purported, or believed, to be part of the Walking Dead story canon. It is for entertainment only and is not part of the official story line.  

.... 

"The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for." 

~Bob Marley 

.... 

Chapter Nine 

She woke the next morning to the cold barrel of a gun pressed against her temple. "Get up, Miss Greene." A familiar voice commanded. Beth opened her eyes, the outline of a one-eyed man loomed over her, back-lit by sun.  

Beth saw red.  

She gave a little nod acknowledging that she would move, and the barrel left her forehead.  

She rolled toward Daryl's spot, and a shock went through her as she felt two things at once, he was gone, and her katana was hidden under their blanket where he would normally be. Her fingers curled around the sword hilt. The Governor, assuming she was going to cooperate, straightened, and took a step back so she could get up. Nothing from their history gave the man any real reason to worry that Beth was a threat.  

Beth took in the scene around her. Rosita, Tara, Glenn and Abe were all struggling against men holding them at gunpoint. No, she thought, and then where is Daryl? But there wasn't time to think about that. Beth knew she had one shot at the element of surprise. In one swift motion she rose to a knee and drew the sword bringing the tip of it to rest against the lump in the Governor's pants. "What the..." he muttered, looking down. His black eyes widened, then narrowed, and his face drooped into a disapproving frown.  

Beth squinted against the sun blazing brightly from behind the Governor's back, she rose up to her knees, careful not to let the weapon waver. "Unless ya want to lose another body part, I suggest you don't... move.... a muscle," she told him drawing the last few words out, secretly astounded by the eerie calmness of her own voice.  

The Governor held his hands out, turning the barrel of his giant revolver skyward. He swallowed hard, and then gave an uneasy chuckle. "Miss Greene, you see my men have your friends." His voice was patronizing. "If you want them to live, I would think very hard about where you're putting your play toy." He gestured down at the sword pressed to his genitals, creating an indention in the fabric between the tip of the sword and his skin.  

Beth didn't feel like talking, and the Governor's powers of persuasion had long since lost any sway it may have had over her. The man was a liar. She put a small, controlled amount of pressure on the sword, drawing a drip of blood. The Governor flinched. She growled. "You move an inch and I swear to God I'll castrate ya."  

"Boss?" A male voice called.  

"Relax Tanner." The Governor replied, never removing his one ugly eye from her own. "Now, I don't want to have to hurt you or your friends, Miss Green, but I think you know me well enough now to know that I will, if you force my hand."  

"Its Mrs. Dixon now," she said, trying to hold still under the rising tide of crimson rage jet streaming through her body at his threat. The Governor's eyes widened and she saw him search the forest behind her, his eyes cutting twice over the tree-line. He's looking for Daryl, she realized. She watched as an expression of vulnerability, and a hint of fear, crossed his scruffy face before he masked it with a calculated half-smile.  

"Is that so?"  

She nodded. "Where is my good friend, Merle's, brother? I'd like to congratulate him."