Chapter 10 - Crossing the Line

Robert was in the sitting room, lost in his book when Georgie came in. She'd taken a bath and was wearing her grey dressing gown with her hair up in a towel. She lit a fire in the fireplace, then sat down in front of the hearth and pulled the towel off her head. Her hair cascaded down her back in damp medusa-like sections. From where he was sitting, he could smell the clean, almost spicy scent of her shampoo. It smelled so good he couldn't stop breathing it in.

She took a section of her hair and started carefully combing out the snarls. He couldn't stop watching her. Her hair always looked so silky, he wondered what it would feel like to touch it.

"D'you mind if I comb your hair," he asked her. She looked at him with surprise, then suddenly turned away, blushing.

"Okay," she said shyly, not looking at him.

He sat on the floor next to her, took the comb and she turned so her back was to him. He lifted a section of her hair. It was heavy and a little cold from still being damp. He was careful, holding the hair as he worked the comb through it, so he wouldn't pull it and hurt her.

"Your hair is so beautiful, y'know."

She ducked her head and said quietly, "Thank you."

He couldn't stop himself. He leaned toward her and kissed her exposed neck. Her skin was so soft and warm on his lips. He kissed her neck again and she leaned against him, putting her hand behind his head, bringing him to her so she could kiss him. Her lips caressed his, setting him on fire. He could hear someone screaming far away.

Robert woke up with a start and then looked at the clock out of habit. While he waited for Georgie to stop screaming, he tried to push the dream out of his head, and ignore how it was still making him feel. He sighed loudly and turned over. He wished more than anything these annoying dreams about her would stop. Life with her was complicated enough. He didn't need his dreams adding another layer of complication by filling his mind with things he didn't want to be thinking. When Georgie was quiet, he tried to get back to sleep.

In the morning, before he went to get his breakfast, he reminded himself to keep his mouth shut around her. He didn't need any more confrontations like the disasters of the last two days. When he went in the kitchen, she was at the table with her coffee and a book. When he passed her to get his cereal, she looked up but didn't say anything and he was grateful she didn't talk to him.

He sat down at the table to eat, keeping his eyes on his bowl. Even though he wasn't looking up, she was sitting so close to him, he could tell she was hunched over her book but she wasn't tracing the words with her finger. He wondered why she was pretending to read, then pushed the thought out of his head with irritation. He didn't want to be thinking about whether she was reading or not.

When she was done with her coffee, she got up to wash her mug. He was finished with his cereal by time she'd put it away, but he waited at the table for her to leave before he washed up. He wasn't looking at her, but the kitchen was so damned small, he knew she'd leaned against the sink and was looking right at him.

"Today we're cleaning the library," she said, and something about her tone put him on alert.

He waited for her to continue, pretending to play with his spoon, but she didn't say anything so he looked up, pushing the hair out of his eyes. Damn it. She looked like something was bothering her. He didn't want to get drawn into another confrontation with her so he stayed silent. She just stood there looking at him.

"Alright," he replied, thinking maybe she was waiting for him to say something. Then he thought he should speed up the conversation, adding, "D'you think I should work out first?" She continued to look at him, and he became more uncomfortable as the seconds passed.