Chapter 25 - Happy Christmas Part I

Robert was awakened by Georgie yelling excitedly, "Robert! Robert, look!"

It was early in the morning, the time Georgie normally got up to run. He knew what she was excited about and jumped out of bed, quickly pulling on pajama bottoms and a t-shirt. He found her in front of the Christmas tree looking at the presents. When he reached her, she turned to him, putting her hands on her hips and smiling while she looked at him with mock suspicion.

"What?" he said laughing, putting his hands up. "Father Christmas did it, not me!" She jumped at him, throwing her arms around his neck and hugged him tight.

"Happy Christmas, Georgie," he said into her neck, hugging her back. She pulled away to look at him, her face glowing.

"It is a happy Christmas, isn't it?" she said wistfully. The she let go of him and knelt in front of the tree, looking at the presents and he knelt down to join her.

"This one is from me to you," he said, pointing to the rolled up song tied with the t-shirt ribbon. "And this one is for both of us to share," he said, pointing to a big box of chocolates.

She was silent for a few minutes and then said quietly, "There's no present for you."

"I have one – I share it with you," he said gently.

"But there's no present from me for you," she said, suddenly sounding sad.

"Georgie, it's alright. I have you for my present, yeah?" he said quietly, putting his arm around her.

She wiped her eyes quickly with her fingers, and said firmly, "We're not opening presents until there's one under the tree for you from me." He didn't know what to think. Maybe she planned on putting something together.

"Alright, we'll wait," he said, rubbing her arm. This was Georgie's day, and they were going to do whatever she wanted.

She went to do her run and he went to his room. He got a pair of pajama bottoms and a white t-shirt and took them to Georgie's room, laying them on her bed. Then he went to the kitchen and started cooking their Christmas breakfast of sausages, scrambled eggs, toast, coffee for her, and tea for himself.

He wasn't surprised when she showed up later, still dressed in her work out clothes, carrying the pajamas he'd laid on her bed.

"What are these for?" she asked.

"Since it's just the two of us together on Christmas day, we're going to be lazy and wear pajamas all day," he explained.

Then he walked up and hugged her, saying with a smile, "I'm dying to see you in pants, Georgie."

She laughed and said, "Okay." She pulled away to leave, but he held on.

"I want your hair down too," he said, more seriously than he'd intended.