Chapter 29 - The Time Has Come

Robert put on his jeans and walked up to the bastard. He realized he needed to be careful. He couldn’t afford to do anything that might antagonize the man. The bastard’s face was impassive, giving nothing away.

“I believe I have just met your requirements,” Robert said, trying to sound as neutral as he could.

The bastard nodded, and said tersely, “Yes, you have. Get her dressed and go back to your rooms.” Then he turned and walked to the door. He knocked once, the door opened immediately and he walked out, leaving Robert and Georgie alone.

Robert dressed quickly and then had to dress Georgie as she laid on the bed, almost too tired to sit up when he needed her to. He did his best to braid her hair and found the hair tie to secure it. Then he half-carried half-guided her to the door and knocked. The door was opened and they walked back to the flat, flanked by the two guards.

The door was already open and once they were inside, it was closed behind them. Robert heard the locks being set as he walked into the sitting room still holding Georgie up. When he reached the middle of the room he stopped, listening to the silence as they stood there. And then it hit him – he had actually done it – he had actually achieved Georgie’s freedom.

All the tension that had built up inside him over the last week suddenly snapped and he pulled her into a tight hug, clutching her so tightly he was nearly crushing her and started sobbing into her shoulder. His legs gave out and he sat down hard on the floor, pulling her into his lap as he sobbed. He had her – she was going to be with him forever – he would never have to let her go – was all he could think.

He was vaguely aware Georgie was struggling to get free of him, calling his name. He loosened his grip on her but he was still reeling from what had just happened.

“Robert! Why did we do that?” he heard her say.

“Georgie, I love you! I love you so much!” he sobbed.

Finally, she struggled free from his arms and held his cheeks so she could look in his eyes, trying to get him to focus on her, saying loudly, “What did we do that for? Robert, please tell me why we did that?”

He came back to himself enough that he was finally able to see her. The worry in her eyes made him remember, he still wasn’t certain it would really happen, it was still possible the bastard could double cross him, and it helped him recover. He thought quickly.

“I bargained for more time, Georgie. I wanted more time. I love you so much! God help me! I don’t want to leave you! I want more time!” He was losing control again and Georgie kissed him to stop him from talking, attempting to calm him down.

When she released him, she said sadly, “Its okay. I understand why you did it. I don’t blame you, Robert.”

Then he heard a cold voice say, “Well, well. This is a very touching scene, I must say.” It was the bastard.

Robert struggled to stand up, pulling Georgie up with him. He wouldn’t face the fucking bastard lying on the ground. He turned around to face him, holding Georgie tightly. The bastard’s steely deep set eyes were blazing as they looked at Robert, his face was a mask of rage.

Robert and Georgie began wrestling, desperately trying to push the other one behind them in an attempt to protect each other from the bastard. Georgie managed to stay in front and the bastard began shouting at her in French. She started crying but after a minute of him shouting at her, she shouted back. They argued back and forth and somehow, Robert knew what it was about. The bastard had never figured out how serious things had gotten between them, how intimate they had become. It was obvious he thought he’d been tricked.