Chapter 3 - Toss Me A Heavy Rope

As the next two weeks went by, I caved in and bought a golden retriever puppy named Max. James and I continued to work together as often as possible, when he wasn’t busy with his band, which resulted in several early morning and late night sessions with him.

“Do you mind if I get another bottle of water right quick?” James asked while we were transitioning to a different exercise for his arms.

“Sure,” I nodded, allowing him to vacate the weight room and go to the snack bar. Discreetly, I trailed behind him, knowing that Allison was working, and she would make a move on him as soon as he spoke to her. I watched from a distance as James approached her, and she kept a conversation with him for nearly five minutes before I stopped snooping and returned to the weight room. When James had come back, I was scrolling through my phone, acting as if nothing had happened.

“That took you a while.” I commented.

“The girl that works there,” He grinned. “She likes to talk.”

I chuckled, “Allison?”

He nodded.

“She’s cute,” I smirked. “You think so?”

He shrugged, “Yeah, she’s very pretty.”

I grinned at him.

“What?” He asked before taking a drink of his water.

“Oh, nothing.” I smiled.

“Whatever,” He laughed. “Let’s just get this workout over with so I can go to bed.”

"Agreed,” I sighed.

 After we had finished our session, we walked out of the building together after James and I had changed out of our workout gear.

“Thanks for all the help you’ve given me recently,” He said, as we began walking slowly down the street to where he had parked, which was rather close to my apartment building. “I haven’t been challenged this much since I first started. It’s nice.”

I shrugged, “It’s what I do.”

He smiled. “So, tell me about Allison.”

I smirked at his newfound interest in Allison, “Well, she’s seventeen. She still lives with her parents, and she’s still in school. Well, not right now since its summer break obviously. She’s a social butterfly most of the time. She loves being around people, especially when it comes to parties. Thinking about going after her?”

“I don’t know.” He said. “I’m really busy with the band, I’m not sure I would have time to try to build a relationship with someone.”

I scoffed, “You’ve built a friendship with me in the past couple weeks, wouldn’t you say?”

He nodded.

“See,” I grinned. “It just takes some communication. I’ll let you take a water break more often if it means you’ll go after her.”

“I’ll think about it.” He smiled. We had reached his car, so we hugged each other goodbye before I made my way to my home alone.

I had finished decorating my apartment, or flat rather, now that I’m in England. It finally screamed ‘Charlotte,’ rather than ‘vacant property.’ I was able to put artwork on the lame white walls, and add pillows to the too-tan couch. I stocked the kitchen with dishes, food, and most importantly, a coffee pot. I had switched out the bedding in my room for something less prone to accidental period stains (the idea of leaving that kind of mark on sheets that I didn’t even buy scared the living hell out of me). The new bedding had navy blue sheets, with a lighter shade of blue comforter that had a white geometric pattern repeating on it.