Chapter Six

Chapter Six

"Try"

Wednesday, when Evelyn got to her department, everyone seemed frazzled. Her supervisor rushed up to her as soon as she clocked in.

"Half of the customer service department is out with diarrhea. I'm going to need you to answer phones."

"But, I'm not a customer service rep." I hate talking on the phone.

As if reading her mind, she said, "Trust me, we all hate it, but my department has to chip in and help out during the morning shift. You only have to hang in there until lunch time. Come with me."

Evelyn had no choice but to follow her to the customer service department. She was placed in a cubicle that apparently belonged to Cory Hudson by his name plate. From the various photos hanging on his cubical wall, Cory had a wife and children. He and his wife did lots of things together, including extreme couponing. They'd gone to Las Vegas, the Niagara Falls, the Grand Canyon, and on a Caribbean cruise. Evelyn wondered if they had a coupon off to travel to all those places.

Ingrid got her signed into the computer and briefly explained to her what she needed to do. There was a script she could read to answer most of the questions she'd be asked.

"You'll do fine," Ingrid said before she rushed off.

Right.

After the first thirty minutes she was cursing Cory and his diarrhea. She had a pounding headache and needed to use the bathroom in the worst way. That morning, she'd decided to take Terrell's advice and drink more water, and now wished she hadn't.

She heard someone speak. "You do realize you can take a break, right?" She looked up to see the red-head woman who sat in the cubicle in front of her. She was standing up, stretching and seemed to notice Evelyn's predicament and discomfort.

"I don't know who to ask."

"You just log off, go do your business and log back in when you return. They're not going to chop your head off just because you have to pee."

"Thanks," she said.

"Roxanne, get back on the phones," a male, who Evelyn assumed was a supervisor, called across the room. With a heavy frown the red-head whose name had to be Roxanne complied.

"Geez, I really hate this job." She plopped back down in her seat and proceeded to answer one of the incessantly ringing phone lines.

Evelyn hurried to log off and zoomed to the nearest bathroom before she had an accident. She would be super humiliated if urine trickled down the inside of her thighs. Just the thought had her picking up the pace. She breathed a sigh of relief when she saw the sign indicating "women's restroom." She pushed open the door and rushed into the bathroom stall. She let out a deep sigh as she sat down and emptied her bladder. It took a while so she was able to read some of the scribbled messages on the wall.

People still do that?

One particular message caught her attention. It read, "Bruce has a small dick. That's why he has short-man syndrome." Another read, "Roxanne was here 2014." She could only assume it was the red-head she'd briefly had a conversation with prior to her bathroom visit. The next one she read made her smile. It said: "I finally brought my Sharpie...but have nothing to say."

She continued to read.

"I had sex with your mama in here. Take that bitch. Ha ha ha!" Underneath that proclamation was: "Go home Dad. You're drunk. And you're in the women's restroom."