Chapter 11: Coldly Harbor

Watching the white fleck pelt upon him and the wooden vessels around, he embraced his cloak tighter as he considered with appreciation his surrounding.

Following Lyzra' alignment, the Judge of Dephos had used his position to negotiate favourable trade agreement and treaties that had enabled Dephos thrive.

Al'armin Delter, High Judge of Dephos, was considered the strongest man in the land. His singular act of political wisdom had secured alliance with Lyzra.

Both in size, wealth and power, Lyzra was superior to Dephos in equal measure. Securing alliance with a land as Lyzra, perhaps appeared one, if not his greatest heroic deed. As a result of Lord Al'armin's wisdom, the port of Dephos had risen from a neglected harbour to a sprouting commerce center, with numerous piers.

Dephos, through peace and the backing from such land as Lyzra had bolstered its businesses. Merchants of all kind could very well tell war wasn't good for business. The resultant of a peaceful land had drawn artists, more merchants, experts and many more, unto migrating to the once considered dead land.

Not many people yet knew that though Lord Al'armin had secured Lyzra as an ally, he hadn't done it out of his own skillfulness alone. In fact, the price he had paid was too great a value, some would say. Giving his only daughter to Lyzra' governor's first son,  Jarkorb, as a second wife -- a man rumoured to be mentally down...was in fact too much a price.

The rumor maintained his mental distress came in swings; sometimes he was calm and loving, other times, he couldn't be contained. Having Alarmins princess take shelter and receive love from such a man, was such a pay.
Well, like they say 'such good things never come for free'. Everyone in Dephos would accept Lila as wife to Jarkorb as a price that needed be paid, regardless of the odds.
The man too considered it the same.

Stretching out now his hands from the wool cloak he had first hidden them, he suspended them above the stove burning with wood and ember, whilst appraising the glory of Dephos' port.

Despite the heat the stove gave, he would still feel the bitter chill pressed upon him. It stiffened his fingers and forced his grimace. The cold brought an insane sting upon his handless arm. Rubbing his left hand at the smooth end his once right hand had laid some time ago, he frowned. But his frown wasn't just for the cold -- he remembered vividly the exact bitter experience for which had cost him a hand. Had not fate been faithful on that night, perhaps his life even might have as well followed.

The memory of that cold night had hunted him for many years. With the thought of the savage memory each day, came a bitter stab.

His own pride had betrayed him and lured him to his almost doom. Had he just led his men to carry out a clean job on Lord Paltiels castle, perhaps he wouldn't have to tell this tale. Engaging the Lord to prove a stupid point was not just irrelevant, it was foolish.

They might have destroyed utterly the Lord' Castle on that night, but he knew they had suffered same blow in return...if not more than that which Paltiel suffered. At least he was now in sleep eternal, perhaps laughing scornfully at them as they strived all this many years to finish an unfinished job.

Looking at how the men on the port struggled over the creaking planks, cold, and encrouching ice...he grimaced again. This would be their life for the couple of months, till they finished their unfinished contract.

The weather on this land was bitter, unlike the North where they had came from. Only the heavens knew even how the waters would be.

That reckless job had been what had pronounced their doomed adventure. For days they had been on the port searching inquiry on Paltiels student -- that scoundrel.

The little brat had very much aided their doom, killing two of his comrades as he fought his way to escape, with the very key they had torn down mountains to get.All their efforts that night was obviously useless without that key.

But the youth had even done more ruin in evading them for over five years, than killing two comrades. More comrades had had to fall on this account. Some of sickness and others of unpronounced skirmish's.

The brat was as a wind all those times. Whenever they were close to picking his tracks, he vanished. Apparently he had proven to be more industrious and dangerous than they had anticipated.

The man knew the odds were at him and his comrades. Their employers were already becoming worried. Being worried was the worst thing that should happen to their employers -- at least for the sake of their heads. This was their last chance to finish the job, and neatly at that.

Nine days on the harbour, they could at least glory in one successful deed. They had gotten words about the scoundrel, El'real. He had indeed taken board to a ship called the Ghost. The new development had provoked their arrangements as well. They had taken command of a ship, by a fortune's pay and were ready to set sail unto chasing El'real.

"Taners!" The sweet feminine voice called from behind.

It was Alora, Taner' second in command.
The same woman that had saved his filthy life from Paltiels deeming. Her loyalty was more profound than her love for him even.

"The ship is ready," she stepped forward. "its time to set sail." She said calmly with a satisfaction that seemed trouble had been paid.

"And the crew?" The still man asked.

"They all on board, yet waiting their Captain." She replied with a simple smile.

"Then let's finish the unfinished dance we begun. The water would be the best dance ground." He smirked to her. She affirmed his words with a gentle smile.

This was the step to usher them into a procession of destiny. Fate might have seemed cruel, but it was yet promising more. Little as that key may be, if found, it could change utterly their lives. Their life now and accomplishment was hinged on that little piece.

Only fate would tell their fate now.