Chapter 12: The Bargain

Standing upon the top deck amidst the shower of the sun, Elreal faced his absurd visitors with the detestable compassion as a tiger upon itd prey.

On a normal day this sun should be a blessing - but not this day. The heavenly body was a curse, as it bare witness to all that was yet to ensue.

Ander himself with his associate had come as envoy to their rebellion. With contemptuous gaze, El'real considered his newest rival, Ander. Merely weeks ago he had stuck out his head and led these very men into the revolt against Goor. Now, this same man had deemed it fit to sting the very hand that librated them.

As Ghost' newest Captain, Elreal could seize his rival as prisoner, or better kill him. From where he was he thought of over a hundred loathful ways of ending the traitor. Still, he knew he couldn't. Not like he lacked the proficiency to - Ander was invariably no match to him in combat....but the man had a leverage against him - Dierl.

If their was one thing Elreal valued most, it was family - perhaps because of the very reason that he never had one. Dierl was a friend, but was no different a family. Ander wouldn't know his current disposition, but he was merely standing out on a gamble, staking such a high wager as his life.

"Before we begin, I would like you all to know that Dierl and the rest of his men are alive. But safe? Only your decision this afternoon can determine that. More so, I would like to indulge you all to banish the thought of killing me and my man. If the both of us do not return back safe and sound, my men have orders to kill your friends." Ander spoke with such confidence of a lion amongst dogs.

"By the heavens, I am sure none of this would lead to any death. Nothing of today would lead to death," Jerther spoke with a smile, no inferior to Ander' confidence.

"What do you want?" Elreal spoke for the fIrst time, with a revile gaze on his adversary.

"I want the key that opens the store." He demanded hardly.

"That is not possible." Elreal told, smothening his black sleeve softly, not even minding a gaze with his rival.

"It is not a negotiation." Ander barked.

"You don't have right to give orders on this ship, only the captain does." Zar tore in, his loathful gaze no cheaper than that of Ander.

"I see no Captain. This man, is no captain to this vessel." Ander growled spitefully, sticking firmly his finger at Elreal.

"How many are you? Ten, twelve......"
"Over twelve men; strong and determined." Ander interrupted Elreal.

"Fine. Say fifteen men. Still not a number to fear. Do you know we have the power to crush you all to dust, since we times your men by almost three." Elreal told.

"At what price? The life of your captured men, which including my force numbers around twenty plus. I don't think you are that kind of man to throw such lives away." Ander spoke again.

"I believe we can come to some sort of negotiation." Jerthers word shoved out at this moment, tearing the steaming aggression amongst the two men.

"Negotiation? I want no negotiation. All I want is the key that opens the strong house." Ander maintained truly.

"Once I hand the key to you, then what? You seize the food and arms, and make us at the upper deck suffer. Open your eyes Ander: the very moment your men joined you, they were no more mine. Do you think am not willing to make a small sacrifice to uproot a bigger problem." Elreal scorned.

"Then your men would see you for what you truly are: an ambitious man. It wouldn't be long then before another rebellion springs up I assure you."

"On the contrary I think it would send the right message about the essence of loyalty." Elreal growled with a fixed gaze that spelt cruel intent. His word as cold as his gaze, its chill sending the appropriate message to the loathful looking Ander.

"May I come in now." Simeon' voice rang, melting the ice as he stepped forward. Once their was no response on either side, only cursing gazes, Simon proceeded regardless.

"From the words we received from our man who escaped your insanity, either side put up a fight. If I know Dierl well, he wouldn't be brought down without a worthy fight. I am surprise you said no one died. If so, I can only assume some are badly wounded. I am a doctor; while both parties think of a resolve, let me attend to the wounded." Simons voice came sincere, as truly as his words.

"In our fort?" Ander grimaced.

"Of course!" Simeon folded his arms to his chest.

"And with what? The supplies are locked behind the store doors."

"I have my personal medkit. Allow me worry about what to use." Simons smile was confident like one who didn't understand the implication of his words. He was gladly offering to go to the den of lions..... and for what?

"No. I do not accept." Ander would yet throw down the offer. It was no surprise he held the negotiation with suspicion. Simon was no stupid man - at least Anderson could tell he was more learned and intelligent than himself. Any intelligent man would perceive this a path to his unreturning ending. So why was he offering freely himself too cheaply?

Taking a step closer to the suspiciously gazing sea man, Simon leaned to speak whispered words. "I am proposing this more for your own good. If any of those men die, it is on you - you killed them. The only leverage you have on us is those men. They die then you are finished. My advice for you, is continue to pursue life for those men, else you burn....you and your men and dreams." Simon said with all sincerity. And clearly now from the look on Anders face, he accepted the words as brutal truth.

"We accept your offer for medical attention." Alas came Anders true resolve. But wearing back the scowl, he drew away from Simon defiantly "But make no mistake, the moment we sense this is a foul play, all your men die." Ander warned strictly, showing off his revile aura.

"Then you might have just made our decision for us and done the harder part." Zar smirked with contempt no cheaper than Ander's.

"Keep enjoying the gentle breeze and thinking all is well. We are cracking down the door, and our effort thus far seems impressive. The moment that door comes down, and we are armed duely, forget about a negotiation. It would be blood and fire." Growled now Anders lieutenant with bitter disdain, while racing to leave, allowing Simon get the last of his need.

"Evade a confrontation as much as possible and for as long as possible. If after a while nothing changes, then forget us all and crush them, before they sink us all." Simeon told Elreal now.

"Simon?" Elreal questioned his plans, but the man was at heart resolved to follow his deemed scheme.

"I need to try and do what am good at. Perhaps this contention could end without a single death." Simeon said.

"Be safe!" Elreal smiled, embracing him quickly. Breaking from the embrace, he bidded his other fellows bye before turning for Ander.

Elreal and the others watched now as Simon strode away with Ander and his associate tending for the hatch and unto the locked deck. In their minds, came their debat of what choices may truly be right.

"At least we have learnt one or two things from it all." Zar's voice broke the absurd silence.

"They are poorly armed and seek arms from the strong house to aid their fight. Their claim on breaking the door may very well seem falsehood. If it weren't so, Ander wouldn't bother coming up here to strike a bergain with us. If they could break down the door themselves, they would do so without alerting us." Jerther said.

"They are running low on food. Hunger has its way of breaking even the bravest and most desperate men. With our friend Simon, perhaps hunger and conviction may yet form a perfect harmony." Elreal spoke while allowing the sinister smile linger on his lips.

Ander may have been declaring terms because of his little leverage, but his time was slowly fading away, and the thought of it all softened Elreals heart. Ander had just welcomed a demon in flesh into his nest. If Elreal knew anything about Simon, it was that his best profession wasn't medicine...it was rather his sly tongue. Such tongue that could tear down a whole empire with a simple spark. That was a true demon' working.....Ander would witness same.