3 - The water's fine

Pounds of dust flew in the air as Milo stepped on the platform in the middle of the tent. He was walking toward the Mime, his mentor, ready for the first lesson of Mimehood.

Milo was a foot behind the Mime, and took a deep breath. He had never met the Mime before, and wanted to make a good impression. How the Mime viewed Milo was extremely important. Obviously Milo wanted to be liked, but he also wanted to make a connection with, in his mind, the greatest Mime in the world.

"Hi, I'm Milo." He said. The Mime turned around, and faced Milo. His makeup was done perfectly. Crystal white face, with the darkest black and most perfect shaped tear drop under his left eye. Milo wondered if he did it himself. Maybe he could teach Milo how to do it that good one day.

The Mime waved at Milo, and smiled without showing teeth. Okay, he seems nice. Milo smiled back, glad at how this was going so far. Though, it didn't really help Milo learn anything when the Mime simply stared back at him.

"So-"

The Mime quickly put his pointer finger to his mouth, and took a breath. Milo knew he was being told to not speak, as a Mime shouldn't, but it looked weird to him as no "shhh" sound left the Mime's mouth. Was this supposed to be something educational?

Don't get him wrong, the Mime wasn't bad at all, but he was hoping for something that would help him learn a bit more.

And so the staring continued, along with the awkwardness. It was just Milo and the Mime, and the Mime and Milo. Staring at each other while everyone else in the building was learning.

Milo wanted this to stop, with a burning passion, but he wasn't allowed to speak as the Mime made it very clear. So he took a big breath, and kept on staring.

❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁

"Are you completely sure we aren't in like a cult or something?" Milo asked Harris as he jumped on his bed. They were both alone in the room, the only ones who were finished with lunch. Everybody else was downstairs, but Milo insisted they should come up, as he didn't like having Mr.Kai watch everyone at the table.

Harris shrugged. "I don't know, but something is definitely up-" He was cut off when the door to the dorm opened, revealing Zinnia, glowing with a smile on her face.

"Harris, Milo come with me! Bring water, it's gonna be a long way to where we're going."

Milo turned around to face Zinnia, eyebrows furrowed. "Where are we going exactly?" Him and Harris looked at each other, confused at how quick Zinnia came up, and why she was so cheery. Also at the fact that she was taking them somewhere they didn't know.

"It's a surprise Milo." Neither of the boys answered her. "Oh come on. Trust me! It'll be fun."

And somehow, she convinced Harris and Milo to come with her on her little surprise.

The three of them took the elevator to the second floor, where Zinnia lead the way to a hotel door. "Um- Zin? We don't know who's hotel room that is..." Harris said as she opened the door, and trotted inside.

"Hey, didn't I say 'trust me'?" She turned around, smiling. "Plus, when did you start calling me Zin?" She chuckled.

Zinnia turned back around, and walked through the room like it was her own. Milo and Harris hesitantly followed her, looking around. It seemed like any other hotel room.

Past the small living room/bedroom, and the tiny microwave, there was a balcony which the three stood on. Zinnia started to crawl over the edge, "Woah woah woah-" Milo grabbed her arm, "What do you think your doing?"

Zinnia looked up at him casually, fully on the other side of the fence, "Jumping."

She then let go of the hand rail, pushing off the balcony with her feet, and fell.

Milo's grip on her vanished as she fell. Both Milo and Harris sat in silence. "She better not be dead and make the whole circus think we killed her, because then the clown cult will be seriously mad at me..." Harris shut his eyes tight.

"Come down, the water's fine!" They heard Zinnia yell from below.

They both let out a huge sigh of relief.

Milo and Harris looked at each other. No way Milo was going to jump, for all he knew it could be a trap, this place was R.L Stine sketchy.

Harris shrugged his shoulders, "Eh, screw it!" He then jumped over the fence in a cannonball position.

"Really Harris? Now I'm alone up here!" Milo yelled, not looking over the edge.

"Just do it! You'll live I promise!" Harris yelled back.

Milo quickly blessed himself, Lord please don't make me die because of my insane friends, Amen.

And he jumped.