Chapters 6-10

Chapter 6: Pursuit

“Nan Xun, Northern Qi’s very own war god. It’s said that you’ve never been defeated, so what dire straits befell you here?” Jun Huang didn’t respond, but mocked him instead. She’d put on male clothing to make her travels more convenient after leaving the mountain, so it was no wonder that Nan Xun hadn’t recognized her.

“What is your goal?” Nan Xun’s face suddenly darkened as killing intent flashed through his eyes. Since this man seemed to know him, it was imperative that he find out this man’s motives.

“I would’ve killed you a long time ago if I wanted to, alright?” Jun Huang rolled her eyes at the murderous intent in Nan Xun’s eyes. “Let’s chat about what happened here. You’ve already entered Northern Qi territory, so why were your losses so severe?”

Nan Xun took a deep look at Jun Huang, not a flicker of expression crossing his face as he seemed to weigh the veracity of Jun Huang’s words. “There was a traitor in the army. We were ambushed.” He glossed over the specifics, not mentioning who the traitor was or why they’d been ambushed. However, Jun Huang could confirm her own suspicions through his words and sighed inwardly, looking at Nan Xun with a gaze of unspeakable complexity.

“What?” Nan Xun frowned, feeling quite uncomfortable from Jun Huang’s gaze.

“Have you ever considered…” Jun Huang broached the subject delicately, “Why you weren’t ambushed in Western Que, but attacked within Northern Qi borders instead?” Regardless of the reason, Nan Xun had held a funeral for her royal father and mother. She owed him a debt of gratitude, and thus couldn’t just ignore his precarious situation.

“Oh? Why’s that?” Nan Xun’s expression remained unchanged, but his heart sank. Someone who would pose this kind of question would certainly have a certain answer in mind. The only issue that remained was the goal of this slender and beautiful man?

“The Nan troops have battled for many years without suffering a single defeat. All who hear of your name tremble in fear. Your reputation in Northern Qi is even a bit higher than the imperial family’s” Jun Huang ground out through gritted teeth. “The Nan troops blaze so gloriously, but is the general aware that an emperor would never allow one of his subjects to shine more brightly than him?”

“And what of that!?” Nan Xun glared coldly at Jun Huang. “I am a citizen of Northern Qi and naturally should ensure peace for my country.”

“You!” Jun Huang was incensed to the point of speechlessness. She hadn’t thought that Nan Xun would remain such an unmoving block of wood even when she’d spoken so plainly. Western Que was no more, Eastern Wu was on the run, and Southern Mu had never cared enough to become involved in anything. The only one who would ambush the Nan troops in Northern Qi territory was Northern Qi itself!

Nan Xun was a general of Northern Qi, but his reputation had long since eclipsed that of the royal family’s. How could the emperor bear this thorn in his side? It went without saying that the mastermind behind this ambush was most likely the Northern Qi royal family!

Jun Huang had wanted to offer a reminder to Nan Xun to be wary of the Northern Qi emperor, but his response was wholly diffident, whether on purpose or of true naivety. A thick silence descended on the cave as neither of the two spoke.

In the end, Jun Huang was the one who broke the heavy atmosphere. She walked over to Nan Xun, medicine in hand, and looked down at him from her lofty position, speaking awkwardly, “Your wound needs to be dressed again. Lie down, I’ll do it for you.”

Nan Xun was disbelieving, but he still lay down docilely. No matter what this man’s goal was, Nan Xun couldn’t do anything with his heavy injuries. I might as well go along with the flow.