Chapters 46-50

Chapter 46: The Seed of Love

After being scolded by Nan Jihan, Nan Guyue sat by the koi lake in the royal garden, angrily tearing petals off a flower, muttering, “Despicable, shameless man.”

Qi Chen happened to hear her as he approached. He chuckled. “I am simply an admirer of the princess, and yet you feel so offended by me. I really know nothing about women.”

Nan Guyue’s head snapped up and she saw Qi Chen looking at her with a bright smile. He had changed into a different outfit. The adorned silky fabric accentuated the air of nobility he had as royalty.

She had just been lectured by her elder brother, and the one responsible for that dared to come mock her as if he had nothing to do with it? Her mood took a downturn. She threw away the flower and shot up to her feet, but her legs were numb from sitting too long, and there was a stabbing pain in her knees. She thus fell towards the lake.

Qi Chen grabbed her arm just in time, but she fell with such velocity that he got dragged into the lake with her.

Nan Guyue couldn’t swim. She struggled and ended up clinging to Qi Chen like an octopus, her eyes squeezed shut in fear. Qi Chen pushed himself to the limit and swam to the shore. The princess was still holding onto him.

He sighed. “My eight characters of birth must have been in conflict with yours1. Here I am, soaked again.”

Qi Chen carried her to dry ground and took off his robe to cover Nan Guyue up – Jun Huang had told him to be a gentleman. Nan Guyue looked up at him with wide eyes, touched by his consideration.

A couple of servants had heard the commotion and led them to a room to change their clothes. Afterwards, Qi Chen sat in the resting area drinking hot tea. He took out the silver needle he had used earlier, smiling.

He didn’t miss the soft look in Nan Guyue’s eyes. Good thing that Jun Huang had given him these needles; otherwise he wouldn’t have been able to get closer to the princess.

In the evening, he returned to his manor and went straight to the side building. Jun Huang was still awake, waiting for him.

“Brother Feng is indeed clever,” Qi Chen said. Jun Huang was very good at predicting what would happen. Everything went according to her plan.

Jun Huang smiled a little. “Nan Guyue will stay in Northern Qi for a little longer. During this period of time, Your Royal Highness must make her fall for you. Tomorrow you can ask her out. The view at night here is beautiful. It’s perfect for a romantic outing.”

Qi Chen understood what she meant immediately. He patted her on the shoulder. “I’m fortunate to have a strategist like brother Feng.”

Jun Huang lowered her head without a word. Qi Chen left not long after. Once he disappeared from her sight, there was a strange current of wind behind her. She whirled around as quickly as she could, but whoever it was was well trained in martial arts. She was caught and couldn’t move.

“Who are you?” Jun Huang said through clenched teeth. “Do you know what place this is? If you don’t let me go, I’ll call out for help.”

The man easily carried Jun Huang out of the prince manor and didn’t say anything until they reached a river. “It’s me,” he said quietly, letting her go.

Nan Xun? Jun Huang recognized his voice. She turned around and it was indeed the man she had not seen for a while. On an impulse, she threw herself into Nan Xun’s arms, giving him quite a shock.

Nan Xun could feel his heart racing. He didn’t know what to do with his hands and settled on nudging Jun Huang’s shoulders.

After a moment of silence, he cleared his throat and asked, “What’s gotten into you?”