Chapters 31-35

Chapter 31: Meeting with the Senior Grandmaster

Qi Yun nodded. “Don’t concern yourself with this matter. Your priority now is to protect yourself. I’ll insert my people into my second brother’s circle.”

“As you wish.” Jun Huang didn’t argue. There was nothing else she could do to help.

“Moreover, my second brother’s power cannot be underestimated,” said Qi Yun. ”There must be someone in a higher place supporting him behind the scenes.”

“My thoughts exactly. After he was caught for embezzlement, I expected him to be abandoned in court. Someone, however, secretly gained many officials’ support for him, and when they were asked about that person’s identity, they gave no answer. It must be someone with great power.” Jun Huang’s expression was severe. Dealing with Qi Chen had become a more and more complicated matter. It was a gift that kept on giving.

Qi Yun felt a pang of frustration at the sight of her tightly-knitted eyebrows. He spent years cultivating his power. And now here he was, needing the help of a fragile scholar. This shouldn’t be a burden for this gentleman to bear.

Qi Yun patted Jun Huang on the shoulder and sighed. “Don’t worry too much. Now we just have to wait and see. The rest we’ll consider later.”

“How about the crown prince?” Jun Huang asked.

Qi Yun let out another sigh and told her about what had happened. Jun Huang broke into a smile. “I didn’t expect the crown prince to end up like this. Still, it’s good news. Finally he got a taste of his own medicine.”

“Alright, Qi Yun. We can’t stay here any longer. Qi Chen must have left for his manor now. If I’m late, he will be suspicious of me again. You better return to your manor as well.” After that she took her leave.

A sense of loss suddenly hit Qi Yun. He let out a sigh filled with melancholy, whipped open his fan, and returned to his manor. His dreams and ideals were long lost; now he was only an ordinary man trying to survive in a war between brothers.

As Jun Huang expected, she arrived about the same time as Qi Chen did. He was carried here from the palace in a sedan chair – a clear sign he now enjoyed the emperor’s favor.

“Brother Feng, where did you go?” Qi Chen spotted Jun Huang at a distance. He commanded the carriers to let him down. Then he ran up to Jun Huang, his eyes crinkled. It was clear from his expression that he was again praised by the emperor.

Jun Huang changed the subject and asked the obvious question. “I went for a walk. Did Your Highness just return from the palace?”

Qi Chen nodded. “I was paying the crown prince a visit when Royal Father invited us to the palace. Then, Royal Father asked me to stay for a talk. He praised me for a job well done for what I did at the border.”

“I believe that brother Feng’s talent should not be overlooked. If you are willing, I’ll say some good words for you before Royal Father. You can become an official too.”

That got a reaction from Jun Huang. Immediately she replied, “Your Highness, you must not do this. I only want to offer my service to you. If the emperor is to grant me a position in the palace, it would be near impossible for me to continue being your strategist.”

What Jun Huang said made sense to Qi Chen. He nodded and entered the manor side by side with her. He even invited her to share a meal with him. Their talk was pleasant enough. Originally, Jun Huang intended to get some information out of him. Unfortunately, in his excitement he got drunk and passed out not long after. There wasn’t anything Jun Huang could do.