0.5

He'd caught the train home from school after first period ended and had taken the train to school this morning, actively avoiding seeing Crystal and the others. He'd arrived at school as early as possible, so early there hadn't been another person from his school get off at the platform with him. His thought was that if he got there early enough and went and hid up in the stairwell, he wouldn't have to see anyone at the train station (success). He also wouldn't have to walk past anyone in the halls, and he could sneak into class well after the first bells had rung, without running into the people skipping class out the front, which seemed like a well thought out plan in his own mind.

The plan, no matter how well thought out though didn't account for the fact, lots of people did extracurriculars in the morning, and that douchebags that liked to bully him wouldn't do extracurriculars. He'd slunk past them as inconspicuously as he could manage, but they saw him anyway and jeered and whooped at him. He didn't pay much attention to the content because he could feel the hot gaze of everyone else in the hall on him and quickened his pace. He took his place on the staircase and sighed deeply, they hadn't called his mum yesterday for some reason, but if he skipped classes again today, they'd call her for sure. He had to face the music.

As he was mulling that over sadly, he heard a familiar voice call out, "I wondered if you'd be hiding in a staircase, it's a smart choice, I just didn't know which one," when Ashton looked up Calum was smiling at him and making his way over to sit beside him.

Ashton didn't know what to say, and his cheeks were growing redder and redder. He really didn't want to acknowledge this, especially with Calum of all people. Calum spoke again though before he could worry much more, "I don't know what to say to make you feel better, you don't need to be embarrassed around us. We don't care what those dickheads think," he rolled his eyes and shrug simultaneously.

He opened his mouth to explain, "I-I-"but the words caught in his throat, and the voice of a person he never met whispered, 'I think it's best we keep this between the three of us'. He'd never had to be told he knew, knew it was her voice, he sighed, "I'm just so embarrassed, I can't believe I did that,"

He felt a hand on his shoulder, "Hey look when you gotta go; you gotta go. At least it wasn't a number two" Calum laughed standing up and offering a hand to Ashton. Despite himself, Ashton laughed a little too, not without an eye roll first, but he did laugh. "C'mon Crystal's already been complaining about having no company in class. Which means Michael complains to me about Crystal's complaining. So you're going to come to McDonald's with us this afternoon, and you're going to keep getting rides from Crystal. Otherwise, you'll hurt all of our feelings," he pulled a dramatic frown at Ashton as he finished, so in spite of himself, Ashton laughed and followed.

After that Calum texted the others that they could stop looking for him, apparently, they'd all split up and gone to different hidey holes around the school in search of him and Ashton's heart warmed the tiniest little bit. It practically soared when they briefly met up with the others before class, where he got a pat on the head from Luke, a warm hug from Crystal and a sympathetic look from Michael.

Then Crystal was leading him off to their first class, and she told him in no uncertain terms that anyone who had anything to say to him would have to come through her. Ashton laughed along, not really believing the thin girl could be much of a physical threat, but in the back of his mind, he knew she probably already had some biting comments stored up her sleeve.

"Michael thinks you're really weird now like he thought you were weird before, but now, so weird," she giggled, and Ashton couldn't help but join her. He hadn't thought Michael's poor opinion of him could drop any lower, but apparently there was a ways to go.

"Maybe I should just tell him I was trying to mark you," he added cheekily, and Crystal's giggles dissolved into full-blown fits of laughter.

started laughing, really hard and Ashton joined in, they were laughing incredibly hard on their way to class.

She was bent over clutching her sides when she managed to wheeze out, "I'm, I'm going to pee myself,"

That was it; it wasn't laughter anymore it was two people doubled over, gasping for air and to any outsider for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Once they recovered, Ashton couldn't keep the grin off his face; all things considered, he supposed it wasn't 'normal' that he was having such a good day.

The rest of the day passed with quite a few jeers directed his way, but true to her word Crystal was there with a biting comment or a 'go fuck yourself' in response. So the day passed quite quickly and, then everyone (minus Michael, who had gotten detention for his eyebrow bar) headed off to McDonald's.

"And then Crystal said, 'I'm going to pee myself' and holy fuck," Ashton finished, wiping away tears from his eyes. The table dissolved into laughter again, even Sierra who Ashton was only meeting for the second time was laughing along with him at possibly the most embarrassing thing he'd ever done in his life.

"You can't tell Michael what Ashton said though, he will not find it as funny as we all do," Crystal warned, throwing a serious look over the group.

Ashton blushed a deep red, it might not have seemed like a big deal, but it always was, it was like coming out all over again acknowledging that you're gay in front of a new group of people. He pretty much knew that everyone would react fine, but a little piece fraction of doubt kept him nervous. "Yeah, it's like Michael doesn't get that I'm gay," he said it with a throwaway tone and rolled his eyes.

One millisecond.

Two milliseconds.

"He's just never had a girlfriend before he thinks everyone's going to steal her, she's icky anyway," Calum grinned, Crystal poked her tongue at him from across the table.

"I don't think you're icky, I think you're wonderful," Sierra added matter-of-factly.

"Hands off my girlfriend Crystal, honestly," Luke said playfully pulling Sierra toward him.

"What a shame you're gay though Ashton, one of my friends, thinks you're really cute, I don't mean it like you shouldn't be gay, but she's really nice. Like what a shame she's not a guy?" Sierra looked up with an eyebrow raised, seemingly asking, 'do you know what I mean?'

"What she meant-" Luke went to explain, but Ashton cut him off.

"I know what she meant, I'm very flattered that you think I'm good enough for your friend," Ashton smiled at her, and her warm eyes radiated a thankfulness. Ashton didn't mind he knew when people were ignorant or trying to be mean and when they just didn't know exactly how to express what they meant.

"We'll find someone for Ashton, I have to after all the times he's already guarded the door for Michael and me," Crystal announced wrapping an arm around Ashton's shoulder.

"You're a brave man Mr Irwin, thank you for taking the duty off my hands," Calum said solemnly. "It's like listening to Michael make out with my sister but slightly less gross, only slightly,"

Everyone laughed again, and Ashton was sad for a moment that Michael hadn't been there to bond with them, but then again if he were here maybe it wouldn't have been like this.