1.9

Ashton and Luke were leant against the lockers, waiting. "It's late this afternoon; you should come if you don't have anything better to do," 

"Is this the part where I pretend to consider it like I might have other plans? Because I have no plans," Ashton admitted shrugging. 

"So you'll come?" Luke grinned wide. 

Ashton rolled his eyes and nodded, "yeah, It'll be good to see you guys in action finally," 

Luke let a smirk find its way onto his face, "I'm sure Cal will love to know you're there watching," Ashton fixed him with his best attempt at a threatening look, and Luke immediately backtracked, "Crystal and Michael are going as well, I'm sure no one will look into it too much," 

"Smooth," Ashton chuckled, pushing himself off the lockers, attempting to wave down Michael and Crystal, who were approaching, "Hey, Luke convinced me to come to the game tonight. Is it okay if I third wheel with you guys?" 

"Oh my god! That would be great; we should go out for pizza afterwards!" Crystal said excitedly, dropping Michael's hand and closing the distance between her and Ashton to wrap him up in a tight hug.

"You won't be third-wheeling. Isn't Si going with you guys?" Luke asked, reaching down to scoop his hockey bag up off the floor. 

Michael shook his head, "Messaged Crystal earlier and said she was going with some girls from her geography class," he shrugged.

"As long as she comes, I suppose," Luke said, shrugging, "did you tell her we're going out afterwards?" 

Crystal nodded, "She said if she can't meet us wherever we're having dinner, she'll meet us at the party," 

Ashton turned and raised an eyebrow at Luke, and the younger man actually squirmed a little, "I was hoping it would be the end of the night, and we'd all be going, and you'd just be like 'what the hell' and just tag along," he admitted, at least having the decency to pretend to be embarrassed. 

"Can you blame him?" Cyrstal asked, "I can never imagine you saying yes to a party," 

"Well, I'm saying yes now?" it came out as a question, and he raised an eyebrow at Crystal.

"Fantastic! we'll pick you up just before 6?" Crystal was all giddy excitement as she turned back to Michael, who fondly rolled his eyes at her. 

"Anyone would think I'm a shut in the way you lot carry on," Ashton said with an exasperated expression. 

Luke sent a sharp jab into his ribs, "you practically are," he let out a laugh and then continued, "Okay, I'll see you all after the game tonight," he turned and left, heading toward the locker room before twisting his head around, "I expect to hear you all cheering by the way!" and then he was turned back around and on his way. 

"We should get going too; I want to have a shower before we leave for the game," Crystal said, the end of her sentence directed toward Michael, who nodded and then they were waving their goodbyes as well. 

It was once Ashton was alone in the hall the true gravity of what he'd just accepted an invitation to dawned on him. It was all well and good for normal people to go to parties, but alcohol and assholes were far more threatening to him than the rest. 

But he supposed he could worry about that while he got ready, and at least Crystal would be there. 

And there she was, at five minutes to six, she and Michael arrived in the driveway honking the horn, music blaring. Ashton's mother simply giggled and told him to let her know when he expected to be home, shooing him out the door, "you only get to be a teenager once, and you've only got a few years left, go! Enjoy them!"He thought she was being a bit short-sighted but let her kiss him on the cheek and send him on his way nonetheless.