0.7

After what they considered their most successful and by extension uneventful meeting with his dad, his mother seemed to think that was something worth celebrating. She'd handed him a $50 note and told him to go 'hang out with those new friends of yours'. And Ashton had never gone without anything, his mum made sure he had clothes that were clean and fit, that he had plenty to eat and even a few luxurious, but he'd never been given $50 to go and spend as he wished. Which made the evening even sweeter.

He texted Crystal immediately, praying that she and Michael weren't off having sex somewhere and that she'd be free. She replied almost immediately saying she'd organise the others and get back to him, which she did twenty or so minutes later, informing him that they'd meet at Coogee around seven that night. He wasn't sure what anyone could get up to at the beach that late at night, but he was in no position to be picky, this was the first time he'd had friends to invite anywhere.

He caught the train and then the bus out to the beach, and made sure he arrived at quarter past seven, not wanting to be waiting alone on the beach for the others to arrive. The others were waiting on the beach, standing around in a circle, laughing and chatting loudly.

"Hey!" Luke called out, "didn't think your mum would let you out after dark," he chuckled, flagging Ashton over with his hand.

He chuckled in what he tried to make a casual way, "she doesn't care much where I go, as long as she knows when I'm going to be home," he shrugged and wondered if that was normal for teenagers or not. He and his mum had never had a very conventional relationship, he really could have gotten away with much more If he'd really pushed it, but he didn't like taking advantage of his mothers' guilt.

"That's so fucking cool, wish my parents were like that, I had to tell my mum that Calum and Luke were definitely going to be here, or she said I couldn't come," he rolled his eyes, "If I were you I'd never be at home," he laughed.

"Not to play the loser card again, but, I don't really have anywhere to go to be out of the house unless I want to watch you and Crystal make out," he laughed, and the others joined in, "I mostly just study and play my guitar,"

"Really? Luke asked excitedly, "We all play guitar too!"

"Yeah I was taking drum lessons for a while as well, but it's a bit expensive, I have got a pad I still try and practice on a bit, I want to save up and buy a kit though," he tried to explain, his excitement getting the better of him.

"Fuck that's be cool, we should all jam together one day," Michael said excitedly, and Ashton couldn't help but grin and nod, Michael was talking to him like a person.

Calum wrapped his arms around Luke and Michael's shoulders, "Ready to go order?" he asked, looking around and everyone, a goofy smile on his face.

"Oh, that reminds me," Ashton dug through his pockets and pulled out the fifty dollar note, "my mum said it's her shout,"

"Wow, are you sure, Ash?" Luke asked astonished.

"Yeah, this is what she gave it to me for," he laughed pushing it into Luke's hand, he didn't dare press it into Calum's, afraid he'd hold it too long, or his hands would be sweaty, or- or just anything terrible would happen.

"Alright well we'll go order then, what do you two want?" Michael sighed leaning his head back against Calum's arm.

"I don't know about Ash, but I want plain cheese, I don't feel like any meat today," she said, making a face.

"Yeah I don't mind, I'll have a bit of whatever anyone else gets,"

"Cool, we're just going to head up to the Dominos, so we won't be long," Luke said happily, Calum let his arms fall from the other two's shoulders, and they all turned to head up the steep hill toward the street.