5. The Phantom Triad

Raina stared at Lance in horror, unable to interpret the words that had just come out of his mouth. Lance grabbed her hand, dragging her in the direction of his horse.

"They're coming," he sobbed over and over again. Raina pulled away, leaving Lance to collapse into the mud. He didn't move, letting the rain pound against his face.

Who was Lance kidding? He couldn't do anything right, especially when it came to stopping a merciless empire from killing their last hope. At least not without his family one step behind him.

"What happened?" Antonio's face blocked his view of the cloudy, overcast sky.

Lance gazed up at the knight, his eyes tired and drooping from the heavy burden he had taken on. For the first time in a while, a wave of calm rushed through his body. He didn't have any anger rising to his head. He didn't feel tears forming in his eyes. He didn't really feel anything at all, and a moment of clarity was all he needed.

"We were betrayed. The Ladon Empire arrested my family, and if we don't hurry, they'll get the princess too," explained Lance, every word laced with urgency.

Raina felt her heart thumping in her chest. She still hadn't registered that this was actually happening. That this was reality, and not some nightmare that tormented her night after night. She was surprised to see Antonio so composed, his face not showing a hint of emotion. This was a side of her guardian that she rarely saw, the one ready to die in battle. The one ready to do whatever it takes.

"I'll alert the guards. Raina, gather your things. You know the plan," Antonio ordered.

"No Antonio!" Raina pleaded, "Let me fight with you!"

Raina now is not the time for th-"

"I can't let you fight my battles for me. I'm not going to let it be my fault if something happens to you," she lashed out, her eyes growing glossy in the fading light.

Antonio sighed. "Raina, I swore from the second you came here that I would protect you with my life. You matter. You have bigger battles to fight. So I'm going to ask you for once to do what I say, and we'll be together again once the sun rises."

Tears were rushing down Raina's face now. Her lip trembled, and her hand gripped her sword. "Do you promise that?"

"I swear," chuckled Antonio, "that as soon as I've ridden ourselves of these evil men, that I'll meet you at the highest point of the mountain range. Deal?"

Raina nodded her head and wiped the tears from her face. Antonio marched off to alert the rest of the knights, and soon after the brass bell sang a grim tune from the top of the tower. The Order of Alton suddenly came alive, the lights flashing on and loud voices giving orders. Raina ran into her room in order to gather her few belongings, and Lance retrieved food and other necessary supplies. If they were going on the run they had to be prepared for anything. Several knights passed her in the corridor, acknowledging her with a simple nod of the head as they rushed to their posts. She nodded back, trying to hide her disappointment that every person who turned to corner wasn't the one she was longing to see. Her last conversation with Leo replayed in her head. He had tried to comfort her, and once again she had pushed him away. She couldn't let those be the last words she said to Leo.

"Are you ready?" Lance's question woke her from her thoughts. She narrowed her eyes at him, before curtly turning her head away and walking in the opposite direction.

Lance cursed under his breath but followed Raina outside where Laverna's horse was tied to a post.

Raina wasn't sure if she still trusted Lance. What if this was all a ploy to get her alone in the woods? He had been really angry in their last encounter, and she wouldn't put it past a Luciano to try something. She eyed the lone sword hanging at his waist and wondered whether she could fight him plus another ten assassins. She hadn't been able to beat him alone last time, but now she knew what to expect. He was agile and liked to play with his opponents before quickly beating them down. He also tended to leave his left open more, but was quick to block. And if he wasn't faking it, he was hurt.