13. Behind the Mask

Lance opened his eyes, squinting at the bright light. Pain shot through his head, and he gritted his teeth as his head pounded. He felt hot, like someone had lit his body on fire. He blinked rapidly, his vision slowly clearing to reveal the inside of a tent. The flaps were open, letting the light from the setting sun hit his face. Voices whispered outside, but Lance couldn't hear what they were saying. What had happened? The last thing he remembered was Raina leaving for Exeter to go find help.

"Princess?" He erupted into a coughing fit. His throat was dry, and every breath seemed heavier. Lance tried to grab his side only to realize his hands were tied behind his back. The whispers stopped, and Lance could only glare at the man who walked in, the scar across the man's face twitching as his lips curled into a sinister sneer.

"Lucan," growled Lance.

"I have to say," began Lucan as he twirled a dagger in his hand, "that I never suspected you to be the one to get in my way. Congratulations, you've earned my respect."

Lance scoffed. "I don't want the respect of a traitor."

"I should have expected you to be upset. After all, you've only been brainwashed your entire life to believe whatever your father tells you, but he's not the man you think he is."

"He trusted you." Lance was screaming now, gasping with every breath. "And you turned him over like he was nothing."

Lucan went silent, scanning Lance's face. "Do you really think anything is going to change?" He muttered. "Do you really think that if by some miracle, you succeed and bring back the Savoia Dynasty, that anything will change? Do you think that your father will ever stop treating you like dirt, that he'll ever be proud of you? Do you think your princess will treat you any different than the countless 'scum' her family before her killed?"

Lucan had knelt in front of Lance, his face inches from Lance's. Lance bit his lip, trying to hold back all of the emotions clawing to get out. He could end Lucan right here, now that he was only standing feet away, but it was more than his bindings that stopped him. The only thing he had every wanted in life was for his father to look at him with a sense of pride, to be able to stand by his side as a true Luciano, like his brother's had been able to. As much as he wanted his family to be safe, he also wanted a better world for his people. The princess had always been a way out for him, and Lance had never thought to even consider the aftermath. He remembered the disdain she had looked at him with when she had found out who he was.

"I think that I'm doing what's best for my people," replied Lance confidently.

"Vito was right. You are too headstrong for your own good." Lucan grabbed Lance's collar, resting the cool metal of his dagger against the skin of Lance's neck. "Where's the princess?"

Lance simply smiled before spitting in Lucan's face. Lucan stumbled back while Lance laughed before quickly grunting in pain. Lucan wiped the saliva from his face, his eyes now thirsty for blood. He hit Lance across the face, and the teenager saw the world spin around him.

"Don't think I'll hesitate to kill you and the rest of your family. I'll find the princess with or without your help. You're nothing but street scum, and I'm happy to let you die here as nothing more than that." Lucan threw the flap of the tent open. "After all, if you're here, then the princess can't be too far away. I'll be here whenever you decide to cooperate."

"Don't count on it," huffed Lance under his breath as Lucan marched off.

If it was almost nightfall, then Raina might be back soon with help. He grunted and glanced down at his torso, where his wound was pulsing. His bandages stuck out of his clothing, and he could just barely see the blood staining them. As much as Lance wanted to free himself and run off, even he knew he wouldn't last in the wilderness for long.