14. Dungeons and Dragons

"I thought I'd find you out here."

Raina met her brother's kind eyes as they glanced up at her sitting in the tree. His chestnut brown hair had been combed down, and his suit was in perfect in order. Raina, on the other hand, was a complete mess. Her hair was tangled in knots, and her dress might have ripped in a few places. It wasn't like she cared. She wasn't going to go into the ballroom, and no one could force her, not even her brother.

"Go away Alex." She climbed further up the tree, knowing he wouldn't follow her up. He wouldn't want to mess up his appearance for the nobility who had come to visit. It wouldn't be proper for a future king.

"Oh come on," said Alex. "You're being ridiculous. He isn't so bad."

Raina crossed her arms and glared at her brother. Their parents were hosting a ball to connect with other royals and allies. It also happened to be an opportunity for her parents to force her and her betrothed to bond, but Raina felt their relationship only got worse every time she saw him. As soon as she had gotten the chance, she had slipped into the courtyard where she listened to the echoes of the music and the gossip of the guests. Prince Charles of Mirandola was the rudest and most immature person she had ever met in her life. He didn't know how to treat a girl, and Charles always had found some backhanded way to insult her. The last time she had seen him, she had socked him across the jaw.

"That's because you're not engaged to him," quipped Raina. "Besides everything is easier for you."

"What do you mean?"

Raina huffed, blowing a bouncy tuft of hair out of her face. "You always do everything right. Everyone loves you. Meanwhile, I'm the family disappointment."

Alex tilted his head. "I beg to differ. I've never seen anyone throw a punch like you. You're outspoken and proud and brave."

"Mother says it's not proper."

"I think it shows real spirit. You're never afraid to show the world who you really are. I wish I could be that brave. It's not fair for you to be burdened with the thought of marriage at such a young age, but you and I know this alliance is to protect us and our people from the Ladon Empire. I promise I'll always be right here by your side, and Charles is scared of me."

Raina bit her lip. Of course he would play that card. She had to do this to protect her family and people. Raina wished she had never been born a princess. Maybe there was a life out there somewhere where she could be free, roam across the land. She had always wished to travel, but it had never been her choice. She had responsibilities, and it just so happened that her kingdom would be plagued with war in time. They wouldn't survive without a strong alliance with Mirandola, the only kingdom large and powerful enough to match Ladon. Raina slowly climbed down from the tree and embraced Alex once she reached the bottom. At least she had him.

He led her back into the ballroom, where a dance was taking place on the floor. The House of Savoia crest was seen on banners hanging from some of the domed entrances, endorned with a phoenix. The primary theme of the room was a gold, white, and red, and the color scheme could be seen on the ornate columns and the carpeting. She received several nasty glares, probably because of the state of her appearance. Alex acted like he didn't even notice and pushed past people while Raina grabbed several treats off the servants' trays. She saw her parents standing in front of their thrones above the rest of the guests. There was a man with piercing jade green eyes speaking to her father, a worried look etched across his face. Then Raina felt her stomach drop as she met the familiar pair of mischievous green eyes and the short, pale blonde haircut. Raina had more muscle than the boy standing across from her, his light blue attire hanging from his nimble stature. It was obvious he hadn't worked a day in his life. One of his servants stood by his side, ready to do his bidding whenever he asked it. Raina opened her mouth to greet her betrothed, but she never got the chance to finish.