19. Fire and Fury

No one moved as the dragon loomed over them, and the creature's dangerous green eyes glinted as they flickered over every person in the crowd. Raina, who still was at Lucan's feet, spotted Reggie out of the corner of her eye, trapped by three men who held his arms as his sword lay on the ground out of his reach. Their grip has considerably slackened, and a mischievous look appeared on his face as he glanced from the men, the dragon, and then to Raina.

He ripped himself from the men's grip and grabbed his sword in one swift motion. The men, still in shock from the escape of the dragon, just glanced between Reggie escaping and the dragon. Raina rolled away from Lucan and grabbed her sword, running with Reggie back to the woods. Only then did Lucan seem to wake from his shock.

"You three!" He ordered. "Don't just stand there!"

The dragon roared again, and the three men exchanged glances before running in the opposite direction.

"No you idiots! Not that way, towards-"

Lucan dodged out of the way as the dragon raised its claw mightily and swiped at him. The creature roared, and the entire forest seemed to shake. With one powerful burst, the creature shot into the air, nothing but its shadow apparent in the darkness until there was a faint, orange glow.

"Get down!" Reggie screamed.

Raina only had a chance to glance over her shoulder before she was tackled to the ground. She opened her mouth to curse him, but he clamped his hand over her mouth. That's when she felt the heat and the blood curdling screams. Her eyes wandered past the shadows covering Reggie's face and spotted the flickering orange glow.

Mal grimaced as she observed the shouting, but then she straightened her shoulders. "Shoot it down!"

Her men nodded their heads as they prepared their arrows, aiming for the creature's soft underbelly. The creature shrieked as it was hit, its eyes alighting with anger. Mal's men ran for cover as the creature destroyed its attackers with its fire.

"We have to go now!" Reggie said as he pulled Raina to her feet and dragged her the remaining distance to the forest. Raina would have pointed out that she knew that five minutes ago, but she figured she would save her breath on running from the fire-breathing dragon.

She followed Reggie out of the clearing past several trees marked with a slash, and then they came to a halt in an empty circle of trees. Raina didn't have to read Reggie's expression to know what he was thinking.

"Where's Lance and Ari?"

Reggie stared at the clearing. "I was pondering the same question."

    Raina groaned and raced back into the direction she came from, Reggie on her heels. Of course they wouldn't stay put!

    Raina and Reggie emerged from the clearing, their eyes scanning until-

    "There!" Reggie pointed at the little girl, her wild and dark hair dangling down her back, and her emerald eyes gazing up at the dragon. Lance stood next her, trying to pull her away.

    "Oh no," Raina muttered to herself as she spotted the dragon drifting back towards the ground before landing in front of Ari. The anger dissipated from its eyes, and it dropped its head to Ari's level. She patted Kaida on the head.

    "It's alright," she whispered to it. "Everything is ok now."

    "She is talking to the dragon," Reggie remained expressionless, "and it is listening to her."

    The entire clearing had frozen once again, the only movement coming from the fire that was quickly spreading from tree to tree. Bodies lay still on the ground, and Raina did her best not to look at them as she raced forward and wrapped Ari in her arms, not even caring about the beast that stood before her.