Chapter 1: Drifting Apart? (Illness Arc 1/5)

How long had it been, since that day so many years ago?

* * * * *

[Flashback]

"I love you. You're the one I love most," he'd told her, so softly.

Then only a day later, she'd made a shocking revelation that he was leaving, and returned his words, after staying up all night sewing together a teddy bear to give in return for the one he'd left her.

"Can I call it 'Sakura?'"

"Then, can I call mine 'Syaoran?'"

* * * * *

The now-high school girl put a hand to her face and blushed at the memory. Running after his bus as it pulled away like some kind of madwoman may not have been the most romantic course of parting ways, but she'd been so happy at the time.

Now, on her way to school, where he'd surely be waiting like always, her thoughts took a darker turn. Once he'd returned from his business in Hong Kong, they'd been practically inseparable, and that hadn't changed all that much - until this past year. Now, the boy that had once been amiable and always by her side was distracted and distant. She didn't know what was causing it, but feared it was something she'd done that he was simply too nice to tell her.

She was stopped by his voice, "Sakura."

Well, think of someone and they shall appear, as the saying went.

She turned, plastering a smile on her face that she was sure he'd see through if he was paying any attention.

"Syaoran-kun," she started, tentatively. She really hadn't expected him to sneak up on her like that – she could usually feel his presence, but even now his aura was a little diluted to her senses. 'Hoe?'

"Y-you startled me, Syaoran-kun."

His eyes were looking everywhere but her.

"I always meet you here," he stated simply, and she looked around, realizing he was right. She'd been off in her own little world longer than she'd originally thought.

Her smile was sheepish this time, "I-I guess you do." He stuffed his hands in his uniform pockets and started towards her. Beaming, Sakura held out her hand expectantly; ever since they'd gotten over their initial shyness involving public displays of affection, they almost never missed a chance to hold hands. However, Syaoran merely continued past her, eyes on the ground like he hadn't seen her gesture at all. Again.

Face falling, Sakura bit her lip. The previously-offered hand clenched into a fist at her side as she echoed his downward gaze, heaving a shaky sigh before following him towards the gates of their school.

* * * * *

The day progressed slowly, to say the least. In homeroom class she couldn't focus because Syaoran was distractedly tapping his pencil from his seat next to her, and in the courses she didn't have with him, she was too busy thinking about his strange behavior to pay much attention.

Having just squeaked by in English, Sakura let out a long-suffering sigh as she opened the doors to homeroom once again, to at least try and get some homework done before the day was over. Her head was feeling progressively fuzzy, and it was getting hard to stay awake. She briefly had time to wonder if she was catching some bug, before a familiar figure approached her.