Chapter 5: Promise of the Wolf (Illness Arc 5/5)

Swimming through the fog in her head was no easy task, but Sakura soon found herself breaking the surface. Her senses were a little less dull and she was clearly able to feel his aura wrapped around hers, before she even opened her eyes to see him for herself.

Her room was dark, signifying that the sun had set some time ago, but she could still make out the faint outline of his face when she turned her head. As her eyes adjusted, she could tell he was in his school uniform, as well. How long had he been here?

She didn't have time to think about it as Syaoran shifted closer, holding her tighter against him, and then she felt that gentle tug and pull on her magic again. As he took it into himself, she felt her senses clear even further and she was feeling worlds better than she had been.

"Syaoran-kun. . ." she said in wonder.

He jumped slightly, obviously not having expected to hear her voice.

"You're awake," he breathed, "I'm glad. How are you feeling?"

Sakura moved her limbs experimentally, finding she was strong enough to roll over to face him.

"Still a little weak, and my head is hot and fuzzy, but much better," she paused, as if suddenly remembering they were on awkward ground, lately, before continuing cautiously, "Thanks to you, Syaoran-kun."

She couldn't see it in the dark, but she knew him well enough to know he was probably blushing, and next would come...

He tucked his head under her chin to hide his face before clumsily responding, "It's nothing. . ."

Yep. She giggled under her breath, causing him to relax and move his head back up to face her, likely with a cautious smile in place. He never was one for being on the receiving end of gratitude.

There, together in the close embrace of darkness, she wanted so badly to just pretend all their problems didn't exist; that it was just the two of them and they could go back to normal. However, she knew she had to ask him about his strange behavior, now, while she had his full attention. But before that...

"Syaoran-kun?"

He hummed in acknowledgement.

"I need to check on the Cards. . . Would you mind?" she blushed a little at her own temporary helplessness.

He nodded, before sitting up and helping her do the same. Once he was sure she wasn't going to buckle under the fever, Syaoran strode over to her desk – hesitating a minute as he examined the black mark Kero had left – before he shook his head to dismiss it and picked up the book containing the Sakura Cards.

Thanking him quietly when he handed it to her, she ran her hand over the cover, feeling Cerberus's warmth and knowing he was doing much better as well. She'd wake him up once she was sure she was over her fever. Undoing the binding with a careful hand, the worried Cards immediately floated out to hang in the air around her. Looking them all over, she noticed all their auras were glowing with an acceptable amount of health, though she wouldn't dare use any of them until they – and her – were feeling better.

"Everyone seems to be doing well," she breathed in relief, holding out her hands, to which the Cards eagerly gravitated, arranging themselves into a neat pile once again. She held them to her chest protectively, "I'm glad."

Syaoran watched this exchange without taking his eyes off her face.

"Of course they are. They have a strong master," he said it like it were the simplest thing in the world.

She giggled good-naturedly, as though he were merely joking with her.

"I'm nowhere near as amazing as you, Syaoran-kun. That thing you did for me earlier... I can't do that."