1 - reunited and it doesn't feel so good.

My ears were still popping like mad when I stepped into the cold air of the airport. My basketball shorts were sagging, showing the grey fabric of my Soffee shorts underneath. My tank top had lost it's tight fit and it was hanging a bit loosely as I readjusted the strap of my bag on my shoulder.

I normally didn't dress this bad, I actually liked to dress up. But if I was going to be flying back to the one place I swore I'd never return to, I really didn't care.

I looked around the crowded airport, not even sure who I was looking for. I'd sent Ashlee my flight info, but she'd never responded, so for all I knew, she might not even have seen the email.

I pulled out my phone, taking as seat as it turned on. I rubbed my ears, praying they'd soon stop popping. There was a voicemail I'd received from Ashlee an hour ago.

"Hey, sis," she said with a giggle. "Uhm, I'm not going to be able to pick you up from the airport. I'm really sorry, but something came up at the last minute. Rent a car and I'll pay you back, I swear. Bye!"

I groaned, standing up. I headed to baggage claim, trying to stretch as I walked. I found my suit cases and made my way to the rental counter. Soon, I was in my rental car, a silver Chevy Cobalt, on my way to my mother's house. The drive along the Arizona highway was boring, only tolerable because the sound system in the car had an iPod hook up.

Being tortured by angry cannibals sounded more appealing than turning off the highway into Tempe. I hated this town. Hated it.

Tempe Arizona held nothing but bad memories for me. Years of dealing with an alcoholic father, a self-absorbed mother, and a sister to match had left me with a less that perfect youth and a bitter outlook on the town. I was what you'd call a pessimist.

The only thing that I even remotely cared about in this pathetic town was Ashlee. I figured I'd be returning to this town about three more times. Once when her and Luke divorce in a year and she needs some one to listen to her cry, then again for her next wedding, and lastly, for her funeral, if I'm still around then.

The suburban cul-de-sac of generic, cookie-cutter houses seemed too perfect for my family. My mother was the most popular real estate agent in Tempe and was always raking in the cash.

The house we had moved into during my sophomore year was huge, complete was four car garage, tennis court, and a pool the size of Lake Erie

I grabbed my suitcases from the trunk and stared up at the large brick prison in front of me. I sighed, walking up the drive way towards the door.

The second my feet touched the steps of the deck, the heavy wooden door swung open and the glass door shot open as well, and a tiny person lunged at me.

"Carsyn, I've missed you so much!" Ashlee said, talking a million miles an hour, still holding onto me tightly.

"Uhm, yeah, missed you too Ash," I said awkwardly, trying to keep my balance while still holding onto my suitcases. She pulled away with a giggle.

I did have to give it to her, Ashlee was perfect in every way. Her hair was glossy and natural, the color of amber, and her eyes couldn't be brighter. She was petite everywhere, barely standing 5'3. Her hips were slim, her waist even more so. Her clothes were designer and her smile genuine.

"Oh my god, Car, we have so much catching up to do! And we've got to get you in to see Alex pronto. You're ends are dead and you're in bad need of some high lights," she said, studying the ends of my hair.

"I'll pass, Ashlee," I said, pushing past her to get into the cool air of the house.

The air conditioned air and familiar scent of the house hit me full on when I finally entered. I stood in the foyer and looked around.