The Gymnast

They arrived at the crime scene. A gymnastic thing…what do you call places like this? John wondered. Anyway, it was full of gymnastics equipment. And a dead body.
“Hello freak,” Sergeant Donovan said as they entered.
Avery sighed. “Are you still calling him that?”
“Avery?” Donovan said, then composed herself. “Try keeping the freak in check.”
Avery sighed. “Whatever,” she said and walked past her.
John was surprised. Donovan had almost been nice to Avery.
Avery walked towards the body. It was female, wearing typical gymnast clothes.
“Hmm,” she said, as Sherlock crouched next to her. “What happened?”
“There-” Lestrade began.
“No. Sorry Lestrade. I was talking to him.” She said, casting a look to a worried man in the corner.
“I….Jeanette…I came in…She was doing…We have a trick, called ‘Fate.’ It’s dangerous. Too dangerous. It’s called Fate because it’s like our own wheel of death. I can’t believe she tried to do it on her own. She’s usually so precautious, and she didn’t even have a spotter!”
“Spotter?” John asked.
“Spotter – A watcher, someone there in case it goes wrong,” Avery filled in. “Hmm.” She looked around and tutted. “And you came in while she was doing the trick?”
“No. After.”
“Who’s her ‘spotter’?”
“Ah, Fry. But he broke his leg, so he’s in the hospital for a bit. It must have been the pressure, but still, I can’t believe she did this. Finals were next week.”
Avery looked at Lestrade. “Why are we here?”
Lestrade shrugged. “Something seems off. The other one, Fred, got hurt too during practise. He couldn’t compete, so she was going to take his spot.”
Avery smiled. “A hunch? That’s not like you, Lestrade.” She stood up, snapping away her magnifying glass. “But you were right.”
“Really?” Lestrade asked, surprised.
“Mmm.” She pointed to the guy who had found the body. “You. Tell me. The finals. Go.”
“What?”
She sighed. Sherlock stood up. “The finals. Who will take her place now?”
“Uh…me, I guess. Or Lucy.”
“Oh.” she smiled. “How did Fry break his leg?”
“He fell – a bar wasn’t secured properly.”
“Really?” she said skeptically.
“We’ve already looked into it.” Lestrade said.
“So, who did it?”
“What? No, they put it down to bad setting up.”
“Who had the ability to do it? Who had the spot before him?”
“Well, I know Lucy had the spot after him, she was the one who found him, apparently.”
She scoffed. “Why am I asking you? We’re here! There’s a list at the desk.” She ran to the door. A few minutes later she returned and leaned against the doorway, in a sort of sexy and mysterious way, her long purple coat adding to the affect. “Just as I thought.” She pointed at the witness. “You’re under arrest for the murder of Jeanette and the attack on Fry.”