The Shopping

John watched her curiously as she walked down the aisles with him. She was looking interestingly at the food, and John wondered if she had ever been shopping before. She caught his gaze and smiled at him, making him look hurriedly back at aisle.

She smirked to herself. How cute. She looked round again.

The shop had been opened roughly three years prior – though had been subject to several major changes over the past few months. She could see the scratches from where a recently employed male dropped some boxes full of cans, the spillage of some tomato sauce which was opened accidently, the scuff of a new pair of shoes.

It was always interesting to go places, she thought to herself. She didn’t remember the last time she’d been to a proper shopping center. She’d been too busy travelling to ever really need to stock up for long periods of time – food from little corner shops did her fine. She let her fingers run over the packaging, as she waited for John to grab the food he needed. How boring, she thought. To do this every week. She looked back at John, and slid up next to him, wrapping her arm around his.

“So, tell me,” she began. “What’s between you and Sherlock?”

“What?” John jumped. “Nothing! There’s nothing!”

She scoffed. “Sure.”

“There isn’t anything. Honestly. Why do people keep asking?”

She chuckled. “Because we’ve known Sherlock for longer.”

“Listen, Sherlock is a great man but-”

“But?” Ava blinked innocently.

He narrowed his eyes and turned back to the shelf, grabbing some things. “There’s nothing,” he repeated as he walked away.

She paused, leaning against the shelf.

There may not be anything yet, she thought, biting her lip with a smile. But I’ll make sure something grows.