Never Leave Me

"Promise me one thing, Oncie."

     "What is it?" the Once-ler asks as he throws something into his wagon. He turns to look at you, a dopey grin on his face.

     "Promise me you'll stay safe. And remember to eat three meals a day. And don't forget to—"

     "Woah, slow down Y/N," the Once-ler says. "You don't have to worry about me. I'll be fine. And besides, that's more than one thing."

     "I guess I'm just nervous about seeing you go," you say, laughing nervously. You became the Once-ler's girlfriend a few months ago, and you haven't been apart much since then. This is the first time that the Once-ler will be gone for more than a couple of days, and that very thought makes you anxious.

     "Aw, Y/N."

     The Once-ler wraps his arms around you. You return the embrace, not wanting to let go.

     "Don't worry, we'll see each other soon," he says. "Once I find the perfect material, you can come and visit."

     The Once-ler lets go, grinning from ear to ear. His excitement is obvious as he starts humming a tune, throwing more items into his wagon.

     You glance at his house and see his family coming out to meet him.

     "Alright, Oncie. I know you can do this!" you say, kissing his cheek. "I look forward to seeing your finished Thneed."

     The Once-ler smiles and gives you one last hug before you leave.

     -      -      -

     "So why ya headin' to the valley, kid?"

     You open your eyes, the taxi driver's voice waking you up from your nap.

     "Hmm? Oh, I'm visiting my boyfriend. He owns a factory in the Truffula Valley," you say, yawning.

     The taxi driver laughs, saying, "The only fella like that is the president of Thneed Inc, the Once-ler. Ya got quite the imagination, kid."

     "Imagination? Oh no, it's true," you say. "He invited me to come and visit. I'm really glad he did since I've seen the beautiful Truffula Valley in pictures and can't wait to... see..."

     You trail off as you finally focus on what's in front of you. Tree stumps and pollution are everywhere, and the only building in the area is a big factory in the distance. This is nothing like the Truffula Valley from the pictures!

     The taxi driver drops you off at the factory, where a man in a top hat is standing. Looking closely, you realize that it's the Once-ler.

     "Oncie! Oh man, I'm so happy to see you!" you exclaim as you run up to him. You hug him tightly, happy to see a familiar face in this valley of unfamiliarity. Pulling away, you notice just how different his demeanor seems to be.

     "Hey Y/N, I told you I'd do it!" he says, smiling. "Come on in and I'll show you around."

     "Okay. But, um, can I ask you something first?" you ask, looking behind you. "What, uh, happened to the, you know, trees? I thought the valley looked... oh, I don't know, different."

     His smile fades, but he just chuckles and takes your hand in his.

     "It's no big deal. Come on, let's go inside."

     He pulls you through the doors, and you gasp at the luxurious interior.

     "Oncie, this place looks amazing," you say in disbelief. "How... how did...? In a few months? Like, huh?"