I'll be Watching You - Part 2 (Greed-ler x Reader)

Months had passed since the Once-ler had sold his first Thneed. He had become quite a success in that small amount of time and he even had a factory of his own.

     The Once-ler sat in his car, thinking. Driving was something he had rarely done before, but he had to have a way to get to town easily, which, in this case, was using a car. His old wagon was now history.

     He looked up at the house that he was parked in front of. The lights were out and there were no signs of life inside.

     She's usually home at this time, he thought. Had something happened to Y/N? Or was she, perhaps, talking with another man? He gripped the steering wheel, trying to rid himself of his thoughts.

     Finally, the Once-ler saw a figure walking down the street. She walked to her house while carrying a few bags and struggled with opening her door. Y/N went inside and, after a few minutes, the Once-ler opened the door of his car and stepped out. He went up to the door and knocked, waiting. 

     "Just a minute!" called the voice from the other side. 

     After a few moments, the door swung open and Y/N stood in the doorway. 

     "Can I help you, sir?" she asked. 

     The Once-ler smiled and took off his sunglasses, saying, "Hi, Y/N. It's good to see you again." 

     "Mr. Once-ler!" she exclaimed, her eyes widening. "I almost didn't recognize you! Please, come in!" 

     Y/N stepped aside to let the Once-ler in.

     "It's been a really long time," she said after closing the door behind him. "I've heard all about your success and let me just say that you are an inspiration! I can't believe that just a few months ago, you were that singing salesman and now look at you. Sorry again for not recognizing you. Oh, where are my manners? Please, have a seat."

     The young woman led him to a couch and he sat down, examining the decor of the house. It was a rather small building with a simple interior design. He wondered if she was in need of any money; if so, getting her to become his would be much easier.

     "What brings you here, sir?" Y/N asked, sitting in a chair across from him.

     "You don't have to be so formal," he replied with a slight laugh. "Anyway, I just wanted to pay an old friend a visit."

     She paused for a minute, as if trying to figure out whether he meant her or not. Something told the Once-ler that he was starting to push the limits, but he continued talking.

     "It's just... the last time I saw you, you rejected me," he started.

     "Oh," was all she said. Y/N's gaze fell to the ground as she started to fidget with her hands.

     "I just had a silly thought," Once-ler continued. "It doesn't look like you have a lot of money. But if you were with me, you could have everything you need... and more! Can you at least think about it?"

     "Um... Listen, it's not that you're not likable or anything, but I'm just not interested in having a relationship right now no matter how much money you have," Y/N explained. "I'm sorry, but I hope you can understand."

     "Oh, come on Y/N!"

     She looked up in surprise, no doubt surprised by his loud outburst. The Once-ler was silent for a minute before standing up and continuing.

     "How about just spending some time together? It won't even have to be a date!" he said desperately, taking a step forward. Instinctively, Y/N took a step back. The Once-ler stopped and looked down, shaking his head. 

     "Why are you being so difficult?" he asked. 

     "I think you need to leave." 

     Once-ler looked up, scowling. 

     Y/N walked to the door and opened it, saying, "Please, get out." 

     "Why?" 

     "Your behavior is atrocious. Please, leave." 

     The Once-ler sighed and walked to the door. Stopping beside her, he said, "You're making a big mistake, Y/N." 

     "You had a better chance with me back when you were likable," Y/N whispered. 

     "What was that?" Once-ler asked. 

     She kept quiet and stared at the ground. Angrily, Once-ler left the house and Y/N closed the door. The Once-ler stood outside of her house, glaring at the door. 

     "Okay, Y/N," he said quietly. "I'll let you have your way for now... But someday, you'll be with me."