Possession

Mabel eyed a sleeping Zephyrine warily. "And you're sure she's fine?" she asked the other two, fingers tapping an absent rhythm against her thighs.

Nephele shook her head with a frustrated grunt. "Besides being a bit foolish? Yes, she's fine. However, her staying asleep is not good in regard to this medicine. Her aura . . ." she shivered, sharing a secretive glance with Thora, "It has grown dark. Beings from Hell," she motioned to herself and Thora. "Those of us under Death's direct jurisdiction, anyway—we have been protected by ancient magic to keep pure wickedness out of our souls. In order to purge evil, if necessary, our bodies will hibernate until we are of our own free will once more."

"'Free will'?" Mabel echoed, her eyes growing wide. "Like . . . possession? I was right?"

"If you thought that wicked beings are possessing important earthly officials and then using their position to weave pure evil into your medicine, thus infecting the majority of the population with wicked intentions, then yes, you were right." Thora piped up, her worried gaze never straying from Zephyrine.

"What can we do about it?" Mabel asked, hugging herself tightly, a chill seeping into her bones even in the heated room.

A part of her mind told her that the solution wouldn't come without consequences.

Nephele's sigh was answer enough. "Unfortunately, until we can close the Door to Hell, this continued stream of wickedness will continue, even if we were to harvest the evil that has already contaminated Earth."

Ignoring the blasé attitude about harvesting evil, Mabel rolled her neck, feeling a hundred years old suddenly. "Alright. Okay." She scrubbed a hand over her face, leaning against the bedroom doorway for support. "Next question:  Will Zephyrine get better quicker if she's in Hell? I know I can't last long down there, and surely you guys aren't supposed to be up here forever, right? That's why you take turns, isn't it?"

Another glance went between the two ala next to Mabel. Thora nodded slowly. "She would, but one of us would have to go with her, and you—"

"Will be fine with just you or Nephele." At their disbelieving gazes, Mabel groaned. "Oh, come on! I'll be fine! If I still have one of you, it'll be great. Nothing's been happening, anyway."

Thora seemed to be seriously considering it, but Nephele remained skeptical. "Mabel," she warned, "you are in more danger than ever at this point. No doubt that if you continue digging—which I know you will—the evil responsible will be after you. If this darkness has enough power to do this, then it could defeat me easily. With two of us, there is a better chance."

"And it would be even better with three," Mabel argued, "But Zephyrine won't be up for anything if she's here. Let Thora take her back to Hell, and once she's better they can come back. Nephele, it will be fine."

Nephele's tail skittered against the wall with anxious energy. "Fine," she conceded. "But we will stay in this apartment, Mabel. No leaving, no antics, and no reckless behavior."

"Yes, yes, of course," Mabel agreed immediately, holding up one hand in what she hoped was the Girl Scout's symbol, "Scout's honor."

Nephele rolled her eyes, while Thora smiled. "Thank you, Mabel. I will take Zephyrine back to Hell immediately." The smaller ala turned and hugged her sister. "We will be reunited soon, Nephele."

"Yes. Be safe, Thora."

"You as well."

Mabel wasn't sure why, but it sounded like they were saying their final goodbyes.