Chapter 6

COMMENT COMMENT COMMENT!!!!

"No," I murmured, "NO!"

'I'm in a gang, your father's gang...' Hunter's words played in my head over and over again.

Hunter's face filled with concern for me.

"Baby, I told you it was a big secret. I don't want you to think of me differently."

I jumped off the couch, away from him and exclaimed,

"Hunter, you're in my dad's gang. My mom is broken because of him. I don't know if I can go through everything she's been through."

Hunter looked pissed. His nostrils were flared, and his chest was heaving up and down, trying to calm himself.

"What do you want from me?" He asked.

I want you to never leave me, I want you to promise to not leave me like my dad, I thought to myself.

"I just need some time to process everything," I told him gently.

"I really like you Hunter, but this is so much to take in."

He stood up and started pacing around the room.

"I opened up to you! I told you everything!" Hunter was furious, as he yelled at me.

"I told you not to think of me differently, but now you want to leave me."

"I'm not leaving you!" I yelled back at him in frustration.

"I just need some time to myself. Today I talked to my dad for the first time in 7 years, only to find out that he's a gang leader! Not to mention that you are in a gang! This is too much for me!"

My face was flushed red with anger while I was yelling at him.

Hunter sent me a piercing glare and picked up a lamp then threw it against the wall.

"Leave!" He hollered as the lamp shattered into a million pieces, just like my heart.

"Hunter, I-"

"I said to leave." He growled calmly.

I opened his front door, took one last look at Hunter slouched on the couch with his face in his hands, and left.

~

I ran home crying, and locked myself in my room.

My foot kicked a box under my bed, and it turned out to be my dad's letters.

Slowly, I ripped the oldest letter open.

I am strong enough to read these, I chanted to myself.

Be brave.

...

Dear my beautiful daughter Joy,

Daddy is gone for the moment, but he is always thinking about you. Don't waste any tears on me, because Daddy will be home soon. Tell Mommy that Daddy loves her, Daddy loves all of you. Did you receive the present I sent to you on your birthday? Daddy misses you so much. He just wants to tuck you in for the night, and read a bedtime story to you. If you ever want to talk to Daddy, just call this number.

512-983-3098.

Lots of kisses and big bear hugs!

Love, Daddy bear.

...

By the time I finished reading, the letter was stained with my tears. I clutched the letter close to my heart and sobbed for my broken childhood, my loving dad, and Hunter.