Chapter 8: To Infinity and Beyond

Five days passed with no significant developments, aside from the development of a morning routine in which you would get up to go to work, find yourself greeted by Jack, and have to listen to him meowing incessantly until you put him in the bedroom with Jasper until she woke up. Then Pinky would get anxious for his breakfast, and in the process of feeding him, Jasper would inevitably be woken up by the noise. You were quite content to have mornings go this way, because it meant you didn't have to wake Jasper when she was sleeping peacefully, but you still got to have her awake to see you off. A tender kiss and a big warm hug from a gem warrior was basically the perfect way to start the day.

You were starting to realise something you'd never considered before; that you didn't need drama or crazy adventures with Jasper in order to be happy. You were more than content to just live with her, to spend your days with her, to just be with her. Perhaps you were ready to set aside the chaos of battles and monsters and start a family with the only gem you could ever love. It was a realisation which was very poorly timed.

You woke up with a jolt on Saturday morning to the sound of the telephone ringing. You shifted to get up, but Jasper guided you back down, rubbing your shoulder.

"It's okay. I can get it." She got out of bed and picked up the phone. "Oh, hi Steven!" You noticed that, unlike most people, her voice was higher and smoother first thing in the morning, and you apparently weren't the only one who noticed. "Yeah, it's me. Sorry if I sound weird, I just woke up. Uh huh. Right, I was informed. Oh." The cheer vanished from her voice. "Oh. Should we bring anything? Okay. Regarding Pinky and Jack... Oh, thank you! All right then. I'll tell... Okay. We'll be there in a bit. See you then. Bye." She hung up and turned to you. "Well... our ride's on its way. We're going to Valoccar."

You leapt up.

"Today? Oh boy, we've got to-"

"They said they'd take care of everything. Just bring yourself and maybe a coat in case it gets chilly, but otherwise everything's covered."

"Okay," you said, scrambling around aimlessly, "what's the appropriate way to dress for going to another planet?" You rummaged through your closet. "Formal? Casual? Uh, both!"

You threw on a black button-down shirt, black dress pants and a belt, and a pair of brightly coloured sneakers, nominally because you wanted footwear practical for action, but realistically because you couldn't be bothered to find fancier shoes, and put on the brown trench coat in which you had attempted to disguise Jasper shortly after you first met.

"What do you think?" you asked, turning to her. She gave a skeptical look.

"The colour scheme's kind of dark. You look like you're trying to be intimidating."

"Is it working?" you asked, trying to imitate her voice.

"Uh, no," she said with a small smirk.

"All right, all right. Ah hah!" You grabbed a bright blue winter scarf and wrapped it around your neck. "There we are, little splash of colour."

"That's... certainly a distinctive look. You know what, it isn't bad, actually."

"Plus you have to give me some credit, this is pretty short notice."

You hurriedly combed your hair and brushed your teeth, then rushed downstairs while Jasper followed you at a much more casual pace.

"Oh! Food!" you exclaimed, remembering.

"(Y/N)," Jasper sighed, "they have food on Valoccar."

"I know," you replied with a shrug, "but I figured I might get hungry on the way!" You did a quick survey of the kitchen. "Ah! Bananas!" you declared, grabbing an entire bunch and stuffing them into various pockets. "Yes, that is a banana in my pocket, and I'm not particularly happy to see you!" you joked. Jasper rolled her eyes, but failed to suppress a smile and a snort. "Now come on, let's go, let's go!"