Chapter Two

He was furious, absolutely fuming at his stupidity. It wasn’t dark yet and he was walking around on the streets. To make matters worse he had bought a suit! The night before he had decided that he wanted to look his best and now he was dressed in white and black – the colours of an elegant man of status – he walked with a cane down the streets. He looked pompous. A look he didn’t care for and felt stupid to be seen as.

                Growling in frustration he threw the cane to the side of the road where a beggar ran out and picked it up as if it were gold. Well the real silver top of it was worth quite a penny and the beggar was no doubt in for the treat of his life. He let the cane go, he hated holding it.

                The collar of his shirt forced his head up and choked his throat. He felt constricted so he opened the first two buttons so the whole of his neck and maybe an inch further was on show. He had never been one to tuck his shirt in and he huffed as he untucked the white material from his black trousers. His tailored black coat still clung to his figure and the lapels of the jacket hid most of his untucked shirt so he suspected he wasn’t too scruffy.

                He had lacquered his hair back and he hated the look of it, so he walked over to the water fountain in the nearest park and stuck his head in it. He liked the coolness of the water on his overheated skin anyway. Hurriedly running his hands through his hair to rid himself of the sticky substance he stood up and let the water flick everywhere as he ran his fingers through the locks to mess them up; unintentionally gaining the attention of a group of upper class ladies. He ignored them.

                All this worrying, all this expense on a suit and a silver topped cane for a lady he had decided he was not going to meet. He was due in the south and he wouldn’t miss the battle. Animals like him were not meant for suits.

“My, what a show you just put on. Anyone would think you hated you new suit.”

                Whirling around he recognised that voice, thatm face. It was Elsa and she was staring at him with a smirk on her face.

“The suit isn’t new.”

                The suit isn’t new. If he was in a position to yell at himself for such a terrible opening sentence he would have. As it where the young woman in front of him was quietly laughing to herself and eyeing him up. He felt his cheeks heat up and he wondered what on earth had happened the war hardened soldier he once was. He felt like a hormonal teen boy at that moment.

“Well it looks very well kept.” Was her reply. “I was wondering if you would still come today. I made an excuse especially to come to town. I insisted my papa buy me some hair ribbons, even though I have more than the shop itself.”

“Well I am glad you came.”

“Aren’t you cold with your wet hair?”

“No.”

                Elsa was dying to laugh out loud. She had seen him walking on the streets with a face like he had just sucked on a lemon, lips pursed and cheeks hollow. He had looked incredibly stuck up until he threw aside his cane with a single swift move and it was sent flying across the very street. Taken aback by his abrupt bout of violence she had stared at him stunned, and then widened her eyes as he ripped open two buttons of his shirt and exposed his throat. To top it off he veered off from the road and proceeded to bend over a fountain and stick his very head in the water. So ungentlemanly like and yet it suited him.

                She was hooked on his rough looking appearance and surprised that even though he didn’t look like the gentlemen that she had been around he still had an air of elegance around him that told her she was speaking to an aristocrat.