Chapter Seven

Joseph shook his head. “I want to go back up north. I want to get to know Elsa.”

“We are offering you retirement. This is a steadfast way of getting it.”

“Retirement or death?”

“Either depending on how you handle the situation. You can still be with Elsa. There is time yet. We need to figure out exactly what is the underlying cause of this strange tension between you vampires. It is taking away our land Joseph. We need to live in the woods and forest of this world. Without our trees and streams and flowers we are nothing. We are hidden Joseph and we do not do well exposed. Your race is tearing up the ground and pushing us further away from each other and we are left to roam for land. The hounds are restless wanting your noise to stop so they can live in solitude that your cousin Perttu pushed onto them. You have sorcerers who try to pick a winning side so they might further their own power and you have young vampires born into a quarrel that is not their own but are forced to participate in none the less. Amongst your own race Joseph these wars are pushing you all to kill the innocent.”

                It was true, he knew it was. He had seen the worse wars known in their history and he knew the consequences such extreme conditions had on everyone and everything in close contact.

“I know what war does.”

“Then you must understand why we want to end it.”

“I cannot walk over to battling vampires dressed in a suit and demand they put down their weapons.”

“No you cannot; but you can go infront of fighting vampires dressed with dignity and composure and shock them into a split second pause. That pause will gain you an advantage only you Joseph can wield. Or do you think we do not know how you hold back on your power?”

“I hold nothing back.”

“You lie!” The enchantress suddenly stood up. Her eye flashed anger, “We have watched you a while now Joseph, we have heard about you. The White Days took such a toll on you that it was not only a miracle you survived but it changed you… physically and mentally. The warring you had no choice but to live through developed your skills. You are a master at war Joseph and though you do not want it and hide it as much as you can while still winning for your side, you are thrice the man you show the world!”

                The food did not look so good anymore. It tasted a little bitter in his mouth. He didn’t want to talk about the White Days, it made him feel sick. He especially wasn’t in the mood to talk about his abilities either. It was bad enough that he hid them from Perttu.

“Joseph.” A woman came from the top of the table over to him grabbing his hand as she looked into his eyes. “We chose you, not to torment you and hurt you as you think but because we know you are the right man for this very tough decision. Your skill was not meant to be hidden - you gained it for a reason. We ask that you use it now.”

“And if I destroy everyone and everything around me?! If I turn out to accidently slaughter all who are near me?! What then?! Who would I be if I lost control?! What would I become if could not wield this new power? It is dark and it dangerous. It so much more than a sorcerers and Niklas himself would be stunned to know what I can do. Perttu might turn his back on me for being so dangerous to his family. I would never see them again if he thought I posed a risk to his children. His mate! I cannot unleash that power. Not for a millennia with Elsa and a child of my own. I cannot.”