Chapter Eleven

Her mother had taken control of her wedding. What she wanted had changed to what was appropriate and what the ‘guests’ would want to see. The guest list itself was out of her hands but after seeing the length of paper her mother was using to write the list she knew it was going to be a large reception.

                She had wanted a plain dress, new and edged nicely with lace but essentially plain. Her mother was insisting on detail. Lots of detail and embellishment. In short, Elsa was beginning to think her mother was trying to make a show out of her and it didn’t please her one bit. She tried to apologise to Alexander for her mother’s going over the top but he only laughed.

“Mothers will be mothers, let them have their fun. They like to get excited since their own wedding days are long gone.” He said he didn’t mind one bit what went on throughout the day only, that the vows be said and they exchange rings.

                They had tea together every day at four thirty and there they tried to get to know one another a little better before the wedding was to take place. They spoke of the books they liked and the piano pieces they preferred. They spoke of dancing and even ventured into certain philosophical discussions. It was nice to have a man that would allow her the freedom of speaking her mind and didn’t mind that she had read books on politics and other religions. She got on rather well with Alexander and as the wedding date was nearing she was pleased. Heart broken, but accepting of her position. She had known girls to have much worse marriage partners and their lives would never be happy. She was glad that at last she would like her husband.

                Her new house was grand. She had been taken to visit there and she had to admit, being the lady of such a house was a little daunting but she assumed that once she was married and settled down, that it would seem much better and easier. She wrote to her friends and told them what her new address would be, saying that they must write regularly still and visit as often as they were able.

                She had taken to kissing Joseph’s letter at night because she knew that the day was approaching when she must burn the evidence of her love for someone else. She felt as if she would like to fold the paper up and place it in a necklace thereby never taking it off and hiding her secret forever away from the world. But it would never work. And she would not start off her marriage to Alexander with such a deceit. She had promised him her attention and he was getting it; one hundred percent when she was in his company. Her heart did ache something terrible though.

                Another day dawned and she struggled to get out of bed, too tired to be bothered with the morning routine. But she heard the servants milling about and knew one would come in eventually to try and light her fire or something stupid like that, so she hid the letter under her mirror and climbed stiffly out of bed. Her day did not get better. By teatime she was sat in the parlour with the teapot and staring outside. She was so lost in thought that she did not hear the door knock or even the footsteps which announced that Alexander had come in.

“My my Elsa, you are distracted today.”

“Oh! Sorry I was day dreaming.”

“I can see that.”

                He took his usual seat opposite her and let the servant faff around with pouring tea and offering him little cakes, until Elsa told the servant they could manage and she herself took over pouring him his tea.