Chapter Twelve

Niklas came back in a foul mood. While Joseph had knuckled down even harder in Niklas’s absence he was relieved to see him coming back. To think, that during the past few days there had been no sure back up if he failed, he stepped up his own awareness of everything he did. He tried hard to feel the flow of power even when he was using such an inconsequential amount. Lifting himself up from the floor in a press-up cost him hardly any energy and soon he was finding that lowering himself back down also took a lot less hard work. He wasn’t sweating as much. He hadn’t woken in the middle of the night for two days because he managed to stay floating throughout his sleep, and he had even woke up the next night feeling just as refreshed. His sea creatures were staying alive and getting smaller than the crabs he brought initial. Indeed he floated up a fish the day before Niklas got back and the delicate, slippery thing was still flapping about wildly when it came to the shore. He let it go quickly before it died from lack of oxygen.

                He also moved the cliff. He pushed it back and noise of the earth grinding against the ground was loud, deafening in fact and for a second he had thought he had done something wrong. But no, he had simply moved it to the middle of the deserted forest. He had moved a cliff and still wasn’t sweating. The sorcerers were impressed and wanted to see if her could do more but there was too much landscape that would be destroyed if he moved it too much.

                He had been resting for a while when suddenly Niklas came back and walked past them all without saying a thing, instead he went and stood in the sea. His bare feet stood in the wet stand and made imprints while the rest of him stared at the horizon.

“Niklas?!” Joseph called. “Is everything alright?”

“Everything is fine carry on practising!”

                Without looking back at Joseph (Niklas couldn’t bare it) he let himself sink to his knees in the water. He lifted up his hands and brought with it a bit of the water. Then, like the pressing of keys on a piano, he moved his fingers up and down to make the waves move in rhythm whilst getting higher and higher until it was at his eye level. Lifting his head, the waves also raised themselves a bit more and from back on the shore Joseph watched, impressed, as Niklas brought the weaves around him and cage himself in revolving water.

“What is he doing?” He asked of Jaol.

“He must be stressed. He is trying to calm down. Let him be. Come on let’s see how you are at defending yourself, we know you can attack easily.”

                Jaol put a hand on Joseph’s shoulder and led him away. Back in the water Niklas was glad, he didn’t want to see Joseph’s face after he found out the most devastating news. He was debating not telling him at all but the wedding night would break him; it might be best to prepare him for the crushing news. He had no sooner thought of that when the waves dropped, he lost his concentration and they sank back down; falling right on top of him and pushing him too far under so his back scraped along the sea bed and he was in danger of being pulled out into the depths of the sea. Just as he was about to anchor himself to the sea bed and regain control of himself he felt a blanket go around him. No; not a blanket, he was in the sea where blankets weren’t. He gasped and looked around but all he saw was water. Lots of water and the salt stung his eyes.