Just Talking

"Hey Gwen?" Juliet tapped my shoulder, "can I talk to you alone for a second?"

We had just gotten done packing up and were about to leave again when she pulled me to the side. "Yeah sure."

She pushed some of her scrappy blonde hair back, "You sure you're okay?"

I felt a twinge of adoration, Juliet was always too nice like this, I guess I had a certain type of girl. "I'm fine. I got over it a long time ago, I feel even better know that you've told us everything that happened."

"Really?" Her eyes lit up, "That's really good, I'm glad. This... this friendship is important to me, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to fix my mistakes."

"You don't have to do anything more, you've done enough."

She smiled.

"Anything else I can help you with?" I asked.

Her happy expression faded, "yeah, actually. So, when we go back I fully intend on telling my parents everything, no matter how hard that's going to be. If they kick me out, I might need someone to take me in for a bit, until I can get my own place."

"You can definitely crash with me as long as you need, my parents are very understanding." I assured, "you gonna be okay if we drop you off at your parents alone?"

"I'll be okay, I won't let them touch me," she assured.

"I met them while you were gone, I took cookies over. They're uh... interesting," I admitted.

"Oh God I know, I'm sorry I was so weird about them during our relationship... they just... I've always had problems with my parents, my dad especially. He likes to put things into boxes but unfortunately, I don't fit into any of them," she paused, "sometimes all I wanted to tell them was... your child is dying and you have your finger on the trigger... but I almost... I didn't want to disappoint them?"

"How would you have done that?" I asked, concerned.

A bitter look made its way onto her face, "because I'm killing their son and I have no control over that."

"Hey, you really don't have any control over that," I insisted. "Be yourself Jules, this is who you really are you've worked so hard to come to this point. Don't let them ruin it because they've got their heads up their butts."

She glanced up, the look in her eyes was somewhere in between adoration and nervousness, "I won't."

"Good, now c'mon let's go home."

I wrapped my arm around her shoulder as we walked back to the car.