Chapter Twenty

Thea

The glass room is more of an extravagant dome, almost like a green house. There's a worn stone path that leads to what looks like a throne made from a tree. Flowers in pinks, purple, yellow and blue dangle from the roof all the way to the floor. There's even a large tree growing in the room breaking through the ceiling in some spots.

A room made of glass.

The mermaid, if that's what she was, said I would find something here. Maybe that's why I'm so drawn to this room? That's impossible though, no one could predict that I would come to this planet let alone this room. I make my way to the throne, the bark is intricately woven, like it naturally grew into a throne for royalty. This place must have been awe-inspiring in it's time. It fills me with a deep sadness to see it reduced to death and decay.

A small glare behind the throne catches my eye. Curiosity has always been my weakness so I climb over some fallen tree limbs to investigate. A small bit of gold peaks out from under a pile of tree limbs and plants, I brush it aside to see what appears to be a crown. It's thin, not very extravagant but alluring in it's simplicity. I reach down to pick it up, when my hand touches the crown my mind is bombarded with images.

"Your Highness, twins! What a blessing from Anu." A servant girl says.

Before her is a stunning woman with a large, clearly pregnant, belly. It's the woman from the window. She lovingly caresses her stomach,

"Yes it is, they will always have one another."

The scene flashes forward, the woman is sweating and screaming as she gives birth.

"Aine, my love, you are so strong. You can do it, bring our children into the world, let them meet their father." A man with a blonde hair and a beard whispers into the pregnant womans ear.

Then their standing in the castle but it's glorious now, no signs of decay. A room full of people cheer, it's a celebration. The blonde haired man wears an intricate heavy crown, he is King.

"Welcome the next rulers of The Fae Kingdom, Theadora and Rhett!" The room explodes in cheers.

The scene changes again. The sound of screams fill the air and blood coats the floors. Aine scrambles into the throne room clutching a child to her chest. The door is thrown open and...Zev steps in. He looks feral, evil even.

"Please not my children, not my children. They are innocents."

Blood drips down every part of his body as he snarls and charges her. The baby cries out and for some reason this stops the wolf. His eyes are crazed as he inhales and stares at the little swaddled mass. Aine is cowering with the child glued to her chest.

"Run." He snarls.

She doesn't hesitate. Clamoring to her feet she runs for the back of the room where the glass has been shattered enough for someone to squeeze through. Before she can fully escape an invisible string drags her back.

"Going soft my child."

An old woman stands in the doorway. Aine looks at her and wails, begging for her child's life.

"Oh shut up!"

The old woman snaps her fingers and Queen Aine's neck twists to an unnatural angle as she falls dead, the child still wailing in her arms.

She turns to Zev, "You've out lived your usefulness."

With a flick of her wrist a jagged branch stabs him through the stomach and he drops to his knees. The Bedlam leisurely walks to the crying infant and picks it up.