6

The sounds surrounding her were muffled. The pounding in her head too loud for her to concentrate on anything other than her shaky breathing. Her body was slumped against Aiden's as she cradled her hand against her chest, she noticed that her knuckles were red and beginning to bruise. It had been a couple of minutes of them sitting on the ground in complete silence, Avery's heavy breathing the only thing that could be heard between them.

Avery opened up her eyes and saw three bodies hovering over them. Two of them crouched in front of her and watched her with concern. Kelsey and Maddy's lips were moving but no sound was registering, she just closed her eyes again and laid her head back against Aiden's shoulder. Her mind had yet to catch up to the situation. Rebecca had used Avery's sick father as a way to hurt her emotionally and in turn she physically hurt Rebecca.

Avery could feel Aiden's chest vibrating as he spoke but couldn't make out the words. She was too tired to comprehend anything. Her head felt heavy, almost as if the weight of the entire world had decided to descend upon her shoulders. Aiden shifted and pulled away from her, forcing her to glance up. He was looking at her, his lips forming words that she could barely hear over her jumble of thoughts.

"Can you stand?" He asked again with his brows furrowed and Avery shook her head, another wave of tears spilling down her cheeks. "Okay," he said softly, "I'm going to pick you up, so don't freak out on me." He adjusted himself so that his arms could slip under her knees while his other wrapped around her back. He lifted her up as if she was a feather, no sounds or signs of struggle came from him as he did so.

"Where are your car keys?" He asked and shifted her so he could have a better hold on her.

"Maddy's bag," she said and pointed at the little clutch that was slung over her friends shoulder. Kaleb was talking animately, his eyes occasionally glancing at Avery before he looked back at the two girls and continued speaking.

"Hey, Madison," Aiden called out and Maddy immediately walked the few feet to get to them. "I need her car keys," he said and then looked down at Avery, "she's in no state to drive."

"Excuse me, but we can drive her just fine," Maddy defended and Aiden gave her a bored expression.

"You and your friend over there had two drinks, so you're not driving." Maddy narrowed her eyes at him.

"You were drinking too!" She pointed a finger at him accusingly and he shook his head.

"It was water, I don't drink. Ask your boyfriend over there, he'll tell you." Something about the way he gritted his teeth as he spoke, the way his eyes hardened and his hold tightened just the smallest fraction around Avery made her undoubtedly curious.

Maddy's cheeks turned pink and she dug the keys out of her clutch, slapping them into Aiden's open hand with a huff of annoyance. "He's not my boyfriend," she said in a mumble and then turned to Avery. "You'll be okay?" She asked and Avery nodded.

"I'll call you guys in the morning," she said and then turned to look up at Aiden. Now that her head was much clearer and the initial shock of what she'd done had passed, Avery was now acutely aware of how close she was to Aiden. She was pressed up against his chest, one of her arms cradled his back while the other sat on her stomach, her hand clutching tightly at his white T-shirt.

She could feel the warmth radiating from the thin fabric. The way his chest rose and fell with every breath he took. But most importantly, the fact that his hands were touching her bare skin. His fingers absentmindedly thrumming against her thigh from where he held her, while his other hand was wrapped around her waist where her top had ridden up. Avery's cheeks flamed, her whole body was becoming too hot for her liking.