13

"Don't forget to read chapters nineteen through twenty-one of Pride and Prejudice for next class, there will be a discussion on Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy's relationship throughout what we've read so far." Mrs. Brownings loud voice carries through the classroom as students rush to pack up their belongings and head to their next class.

Chatter and laughter fill the hallways as Avery steps out, backpack hanging off one side as she adjusted her off-the-shoulder maroon sweater. Her eyes scanned the hallways for Aiden, hoping to see him in passing to steal a kiss before heading to Chemistry but her view got blocked by another tall figure.

She looked up and saw Kai standing in front of her, lips set into a thin line and eyes cold. "Can we talk?" He asked her and grabbed her arm before she could reply, pulling her behind him as he maneuvered his way through the mass of students.

"Kai? Let me go," she struggled against his hold but it only tightened, eliciting a wince from the sharp pain it caused her, "you're hurting me." He opened up a janitors closet and shoved her in, closing the door behind them and leaning against it.

Avery rubbed at her arm, eyes prickling with tears at how rough he'd been with her. She'd never seen such a side from Kai before and she felt uncomfortable being in such an enclosed space with him.

"What the hell, Avery? You're dating Keller now?" One of his eyebrows was cocked upwards, arms folded across his chest and she saw how tense his shoulders were. His eyes were cold and pinning her with an accusatory glare, jaw ticking the longer she took to answer. "You told me you didn't have the time for a relationship!"

"And I didn't!" She found herself yelling out. She closed her eyes and took in a deep breath, trying to calm her racing heart. "I don't- it just happened, okay?"

He shook his head with a humorless laugh, it made goosebumps rise on her skin and not in a good way. She wanted to leave but Kai was still blocking the door, his large football player frame finally intimidating her. She wouldn't be able to get past him easily. "He's no good for you Aves. He's going to get what he wants from you and then leave," he said harshly but for a second he looked vulnerable. Hurt.

"Screw you. He's not like that," she said and walked over to him, scowling in an effort to keep herself from crying, "I'm leaving." When she reached for the doorknob Kai didn't stop her, he pushed away from it and looked at anything but her. She wanted to explain to him what she had with Aiden, but even she didn't know what words to use. He ignited something in her veins that Kai never did and he knew how to comfort her when she needed it. He was just there, and he had wormed his way into her heart in a matter of weeks.

When she walked out into the hallway, it was empty. Class had already started and she had no plans on getting a detention for being tardy. Instead she trudged into the library and walked aimlessly through the aisles, when she didn't find anything interesting to read she sat down at a table and pulled out her copy of Pride and Prejudice, she decided she might as well do the reading for English class.

↠↠↠↞↞↞

Noise increased tenfold when Avery walked into the cafeteria that day, everyone talking over each other while laughter filled the air from different sections of the large room. She saw Aiden sitting at a booth by the window with Kaleb and her friends, all of them leaned forward and what looked to be whispering to one another.

She clutched her book to her chest, winding her way through the tables until she was close enough to see Aiden's clenched jaw and tense shoulders. Madison and Kelsey were speaking quickly while Kaleb leaned back into the booth seat and crossed his arms over his chest. When he saw her approaching, he tapped Aiden's shoulder and nodded his head in her direction.