14

"So things are getting kind of serious with you and Aiden, huh?" Madison asks as she brushes a second coat of nail polish on her nails. Avery was laying on her bed with her chemistry textbook opened and various papers scattered throughout her comforter. Madison had insisted on a girls day, except Kelsey was away for the weekend with her family and so it was down to just the two of them.

"I guess so, yeah," Avery mumbled as she scribbled words into her notebook. She couldn't help the grin that spread across her face when she thought of how smoothly the past couple of weeks had gone for them. Forgotten was the Kai incident and the guy in question had steered clear of her in every aspect, much to Aiden's pleasure.

The bed dipped as Madison walked across it and sat down to lean against the headboard, blowing at her nails gently. Her blonde hair was pulled into a bun on top of her head and she was sporting leggings and an oversized sweater.

"Anyway, how are things with Kaleb?" Avery watched as her friends cheeks tinted pink and how her eyes lowered shyly. She shrugged but there was a smile on her face.

"I really like him, Aves. He's so sweet and he's not rushing things, we're really just getting to know each other but I think he likes me too," there was a dreamy look in her eyes as she spoke and Avery beamed at her, her homework forgotten as she crawled to her friend and wrapped her up in a hug.

"I'm so happy for you, Mads!" They both dissolved into a fit of giggles, neither one had been expecting to have things turn out the way they did. There was a knock on the door and Mark popped his head in, smiling warmly at the two girls.

"You girls want lunch? I'm making sandwiches," he said and both of them nodded, "great I'll holler when they're ready."

Avery stifled a giggle, "dad did you just say holler?" Madison was laughing silently beside her while Mark cocked an eyebrow up in mock offense.

"I'll have you know I'm still hip with the teenage lingo," all three of them began laughing at the same time, taking seconds for them to finally sober up. Avery closed up her books and tucked all her papers away in her binder, getting up from the bed to place them on the dresser.

"Mads and I will help," she said with a smile and Madison crawled off the bed, nodding her head excitedly. Her fathers condition hadn't worsened but it also wasn't getting any better, she cherished the little times when he was up and doing things instead of being secluded in his room or spending his days and nights in hospital rooms.

"You going to that Halloween party tonight, pumpkin?" Her dad asked as all three of them descended the stairs. Avery pursed her lips, Madison had brought it up when she got here and her dad had been quick to voice his approval of her enjoying the night with her friends.

"I'll make sure she goes, Mark. Don't worry." Madison had a triumphant gleam in her eyes and Avery rolled hers, she knew there was no way to get out of this, her father had even gone as far as calling in a nurse to be available throughout the night in case she didn't return home.

"I hate you guys," she muttered.

"No you don't!" They both said in unison, and Avery couldn't help the small smile that played on her lips.

↠↠↠↞↞↞

Her tight white dress left nothing to the imagination. Her waist looked small and the dip that led to her hips was prominent, it barely even reached mid-thigh and Madison was nodding her approval.

"You'll be the most devilish looking angel in that whole house," she said with a wicked smirk and reached over to grab the halo headband that sat on the bathroom counter, "put this on."